Hi guys,

my build was working absolutely perfect yesterday. However, today I tried
to execute

mvn install

and the build goes down the submodules, builds them and again starts to
build them one by one, and so on infinitely.

My project consists of three submodules, each one supposed just to extract
using the assembly plugin two other jars in one common folder and then wrap
it up again as a whole.

Although mvn clean works perfect and cleans the content, any of the "mvn
package", "mvn install", "mvn test" doesn't work. I just wanted to ask if
anyone knows what could be the reason of this.

I wouldn't write to the maven-dev list if I don't think that this is a
maven-bug.

Thank you very much.

  • Niall Pemberton at Feb 28, 2008 at 6:08 pm

    my build was working absolutely perfect yesterday. However, today I tried
    to execute

    mvn install

    and the build goes down the submodules, builds them and again starts to
    build them one by one, and so on infinitely.

    My project consists of three submodules, each one supposed just to extract
    using the assembly plugin two other jars in one common folder and then wrap
    it up again as a whole.

    Although mvn clean works perfect and cleans the content, any of the "mvn
    package", "mvn install", "mvn test" doesn't work. I just wanted to ask if
    anyone knows what could be the reason of this.
    Perhaps...

    http://www.jroller.com/mrdon/entry/your_build_uses_maven_2

    Niall
    I wouldn't write to the maven-dev list if I don't think that this is a
    maven-bug.

    Thank you very much.
  • Petar Tahchiev at Feb 28, 2008 at 7:05 pm
    I checked the version of all the maven plugins that are used, and none of the
    plugins seems to be updated for the past month.
    You can checkout the source of Cactus and try to build it by yourself:

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/cactus/trunk/

    I upload the output of the build process. Actually it turned out that the
    build eventually ends, the problem is that it builds actually the source
    many times. If you look at the attachment you can see that on line 430 in
    stead of continuing with the next uberjar, the build starts again from the
    top level pom. This is really strange for me.

    I bet it's a really stupid mistake, but I cannot think of anything to cause
    this behaviour.

    Thanks.

    http://www.nabble.com/file/p15743506/outp2 outp2

    Niall Pemberton-2 wrote:
[...]

  • Brian E. Fox at Feb 28, 2008 at 7:16 pm
    If the plugins aren't locked down in the pom, this is what can happen.
    My guess is that you somehow got a new verion of the javadoc plugin
    which forks the build now (why did this get changed and why haven't we
    fixed it yet?)

    Niall Pemberton-2 wrote:
[...]

  • Niall Pemberton at Feb 28, 2008 at 7:30 pm

    I checked the version of all the maven plugins that are used, and none of the
    plugins seems to be updated for the past month.
    You can checkout the source of Cactus and try to build it by yourself:

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/cactus/trunk/

    I upload the output of the build process. Actually it turned out that the
    build eventually ends, the problem is that it builds actually the source
    many times. If you look at the attachment you can see that on line 430 in
    stead of continuing with the next uberjar, the build starts again from the
    top level pom. This is really strange for me.

    I bet it's a really stupid mistake, but I cannot think of anything to cause
    this behaviour.
    I tried building cactus and got the following error:

    Missing:
    ----------
    1) org.apache.cactus:cactus.core.framework.javaEE.12-13-14:test-jar:tests:1.8.0-SNAPSHOT

    Then, install it using the command:
    mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.cactus
    -DartifactId=cactus.core.framework.javaEE.12-13-14
    -Dversion=1.8.0-SNAPSHOT -Dclassifier=tests -Dpackaging=test-jar
    -Dfile=/path/to/file

    Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there:
    mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.cactus
    -DartifactId=cactus.core.framework.javaEE.12-13-14
    -Dversion=1.8.0-SNAPSHOT -Dclassifier=tests -Dpackaging=test-jar
    -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cactus:cactus.core.framework.javaEE.13-14:jar:1.8.0-SNAPSHOT
    2) org.apache.cactus:cactus.core.framework.javaEE.12-13-14:test-jar:tests:1.8.0-SNAPSHOT

    ----------
    1 required artifact is missing.

    for artifact:
    org.apache.cactus:cactus.core.framework.javaEE.13-14:jar:1.8.0-SNAPSHOT

    from the specified remote repositories:
    central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

    Niall Pemberton-2 wrote:
    On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Petar Tahchiev <paranoiabla@gmail.com>
[...]

  • Petar Tahchiev at Feb 28, 2008 at 8:55 pm
    That is because the build gets forked before the required artifact gets
    installed.
    And the forked process requires the artifact.

    wrote:
[...]

  • Petar Tahchiev at Feb 28, 2008 at 9:40 pm
    Hi guys,

    I found that after commenting the <build> section containing the assembly
    plugin configuration in uberjar-12 module, the build gets forked on the next
    module containing build assembly configuration(uberjar-13). So the problem
    seems to be in the assembly plugin. I have no idea how is that possible,
    since assembly plugin hadn't had a release lately, and I use the same
    version of the plugin I as before ...

    On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Petar Tahchiev <paranoiabla@gmail.com>

    wrote:
[...]

  • Brian E. Fox at Feb 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm
    What goal is bound to the phase? If it's assemble then there's the
    problem. You need to use single or attach instead....

    wrote:
[...]

  • Petar Tahchiev at Feb 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm
    Well, everything seems fine, the single goal is attached to the phase:

    <build>
    <plugins>
    <plugin>
    <version>2.2-beta-1</version>
    <configuration>
    <descriptors>
    <descriptor>src/assemble/main.xml</descriptor>
    </descriptors>
    </configuration>
    <executions>
    <execution>
    <phase>package</phase>
    <goals>
    <goal>single</goal>
    </goals>
    </execution>
    </executions>
    </plugin>
    </plugins>
    </build>

    and, again, I am sure that this was working a few days ago.

    wrote:
[...]

  • Petar Tahchiev at Feb 29, 2008 at 10:01 am
    Hi guys,

    sorry to bother you again, but I resolved it:
    in one of the parent poms the assemble phase wasn't attached with the single
    goal. I changed it and now the build doesn't get forked.

    Once again to all that helped.

    wrote:
[...]

  • Brian E. Fox at Feb 28, 2008 at 6:11 pm
    You need to give more info than that. Are you running 2.1, 2.0.x? What's
    the error look like?