When i am trying to search in Solr based on given search criteria it is
searching all the records which is taking some massive time to complete the
Query.

I want a solution where i can restrict search to find only till it find 500
records and then solr should stop the querying.

Since there are more than 10 million records and when searching for text
like "AND" which is very common word. It is taking 18000 milliseconds some
time even more but i need only the top 500 records which has contains "AND"
in it

Appreciate the help in advance.

  • Erick Erickson at Jun 16, 2016 at 1:21 am
    This is pretty much logically impossible. I'd also suggest that your
    response times
    are tunable, even a very common word such as "AND" shouldn't be taking 18
    seconds for 10M docs.

    Say you're returning the top 100 doc. You can't know whether the last document
    scored should be in the top 100 until you score it. So to tell Solr to
    "stop searching
    after 100 docs" would not return the best 100.

    FWIW,
    Erick

    On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Thrinadh Kuppili

    When i am trying to search in Solr based on given search criteria it is
    searching all the records which is taking some massive time to complete the
    Query.

    I want a solution where i can restrict search to find only till it find 500
    records and then solr should stop the querying.

    Since there are more than 10 million records and when searching for text
    like "AND" which is very common word. It is taking 18000 milliseconds some
    time even more but i need only the top 500 records which has contains "AND"
    in it

    Appreciate the help in advance.

  • Thrinadh Kuppili at Jun 16, 2016 at 7:25 am
    Thanks Eric,
    Can you please elaborate "I'd also suggest that your response times are
    tunable" ??

    I have set the start to 0 and rows to 1000 initially and entered a search
    field as below

    CompanyName : private limited

    when i clicked on search button in the UI it is not responsive at all.

    When i remove the start and rows values it is good and resulting in 65k
    records out of which 10 are displayed in the solr UI.

  • Erick Erickson at Jun 16, 2016 at 11:50 pm
    What is? You have to separate getting the response from rendering, so first
    I'd measure with curl or similar. Second, returning 1,000 records is
    usually a bad idea, when returning that many rows you may want to use the
    export handler.

    Sent from my phone