The repetition below is on purpose to show the contrast between solr
versions.

  In Solr 4.10.3, we have autocommits disabled. We do a dataimport of a few
hundred thousand records and have a tlog that grows to ~1.2G.

  In Solr 5.5.1, we have autocommits disabled. We do a dataimport of a few
hundred thousand records and have a tlog that grows to ~1.6G. (same exact
data, slightly larger tlog but who knows, that's fine)

  In Solr 4.10.3 tlogs ARE deleted after issuing update?commit=true.
(And deleted immediately.)

  In Solr 5.5.1 tlogs ARE NOT deleted after issuing update?commit=true.

  We want the tlog to delete like it did in Solr 4.10.3. Perhaps there is a
configuration setting or feature of Solr 5.5.1 that causes this?

  Would appreciate any tips on configuration or code we could change to
ensure the tlog will delete after a hard commit.

Search Discussions

  • Chris Morley at Jun 17, 2016 at 1:15 pm
    After some more searching, I found a thread online where Erick Erickson is
    telling someone about how there are old tlogs left around in case there is
    a need for a peer to sync even if SolrCloud is not enabled. That makes
    sense, but we'll probably want to enable autoCommit and then trigger
    replication on the slaves when we know everything is committed after a full
    import. (We disable polling.)

    The repetition below is on purpose to show the contrast between solr
    versions.

    In Solr 4.10.3, we have autocommits disabled. We do a dataimport of a few
    hundred thousand records and have a tlog that grows to ~1.2G.

    In Solr 5.5.1, we have autocommits disabled. We do a dataimport of a few
    hundred thousand records and have a tlog that grows to ~1.6G. (same exact
    data, slightly larger tlog but who knows, that's fine)

    In Solr 4.10.3 tlogs ARE deleted after issuing update?commit=true.
    (And deleted immediately.)

    In Solr 5.5.1 tlogs ARE NOT deleted after issuing update?commit=true.

    We want the tlog to delete like it did in Solr 4.10.3. Perhaps there is a
    configuration setting or feature of Solr 5.5.1 that causes this?

    Would appreciate any tips on configuration or code we could change to
    ensure the tlog will delete after a hard commit.
  • Erick Erickson at Jun 17, 2016 at 6:35 pm
    If you are NOT using SolrCloud and don't
    care about Real Time Get, you can just disable the
    tlogs entirely. They're not doing you all that much
    good in that case...

    The tlogs are irrelevant when it comes to master/slave
    replication.

    FWIW,
    Erick
[...]

  • Chris Morley at Jun 17, 2016 at 9:18 pm
    Thanks Erick - that's what we have settled on doing until we are using
    SolrCloud, which will be later this year with any luck. We want to get up
    onto Solr 5.5.1 first (ASAP) and we tried disabling tlogs today and that
    seems to fit the bill.

    The repetition below is on purpose to show the contrast between solr
    versions.

    In Solr 4.10.3, we have autocommits disabled. We do a dataimport of a few
    hundred thousand records and have a tlog that grows to ~1.2G.

    In Solr 5.5.1, we have autocommits disabled. We do a dataimport of a few
    hundred thousand records and have a tlog that grows to ~1.6G. (same exact
    data, slightly larger tlog but who knows, that's fine)

    In Solr 4.10.3 tlogs ARE deleted after issuing update?commit=true.
    (And deleted immediately.)

    In Solr 5.5.1 tlogs ARE NOT deleted after issuing update?commit=true.

    We want the tlog to delete like it did in Solr 4.10.3. Perhaps there is a
    configuration setting or feature of Solr 5.5.1 that causes this?

    Would appreciate any tips on configuration or code we could change to
    ensure the tlog will delete after a hard commit.

groupsolr-user @
categorieslucene
postedJun 16, '16 at 7:19p
activeJun 17, '16 at 9:18p
websitelucene.apache.org...

2 users in discussion

Chris Morley: 3 posts Erick Erickson: 1 post