I am trying to configure Cross Data Center Replication using solr 6.0.
I am having issue configuring solrconfig.xml on both the target and source side. I keep getting error "org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Solr instance is not configured with the cdcr update log"

This is my config on the Source
<!-- Cross Data Center Replication Settings-->
   <requestHandler name="/cdcr" class="solr.CdcrRequestHandler">
   <lst name="buffer">
     <str name="defaultState">disabled</str>
   </lst>
   </requestHandler>
   <updateRequestProcessorChain name="cdcr-proc-chain">
                 <processor class="solr.CdcrUpdateProcessorFactory"/>
                 <processor class="solr.RunUpdateProcessorFactory"/>
   </updateRequestProcessorChain>
   <requestHandler name="/update" class="solr.UpdateRequestHandler">
   <lst name="defaults">
     <str name="update.chain">cdcr-proc-chain</str>
   </lst>
   </requestHandler>
   <updateHandler class="solr.DirectUpdateHandler2">
                 <updateLog class="solr.CdcrUpdateLog">
                                 <str name="dir">${solr.ulog.dir:}</str>
                                 <int name="numRecordsToKeep">500</int>
                                 <int name="maxNumLogsToKeep">20</int>
                                 <int name="numVersionBuckets">65536</int>
                 </updateLog>
   </updateHandler>

This is the config on the Target side:----
[...]

Any help would be great.

Thanks
[http://www.nc4worldwide.com/_signature/nc4.png]

Satvinder Singh

Security Systems Engineer
satvinder.singh@nc4.com
703.682.6000 x276 direct
703.989.8030 cell
www.NC4.com<http://www.nc4.com/>

[http://www.nc4worldwide.com/_catalogs/masterpage/images/linkedin-sml.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/nc4> [http://www.nc4worldwide.com/_catalogs/masterpage/images/googleplus-sml.png] <https://plus.google.com/+Nc4worldwidesolutions/posts> [http://www.nc4worldwide.com/_catalogs/masterpage/images/twitter-sml.png] <https://twitter.com/NC4worldwide>

Disclaimer: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy and delete any copies you may have received.

Search Discussions

  • Oliver Rudolph at May 13, 2016 at 1:28 pm
    Hi,

    I had the same problem. The documentation is kind of missleading here. You
    must not add a new <updateHandler> element to your config but update the
    existing <updateHandler>. All you need to do is add the
    class="solr.CdcrUpdateLog" element to the <updateLog> element inside your
    existing <updateHandler>. Hope this helps!

    Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

    Oliver Rudolph

    Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
    Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
    Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
    HRB 243294
  • Erick Erickson at May 13, 2016 at 3:58 pm
    I changed the CDCR doc, Oliver could you take a glance and see if it
    is clear now? All I changed was the sample solrconfig sections....

    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62687462

    Thanks,
    Erick

    On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Oliver Rudolph

    I had the same problem. The documentation is kind of missleading here. You
    must not add a new <updateHandler> element to your config but update the
    existing <updateHandler>. All you need to do is add the
    class="solr.CdcrUpdateLog" element to the <updateLog> element inside your
    existing <updateHandler>. Hope this helps!

    Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

    Oliver Rudolph

    Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
    Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
    Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
    HRB 243294

  • Abdel Belkasri at May 15, 2016 at 10:13 pm
    Erick,

    I tried the new configuration. The same issue that Satvinder is having. The
    log updater cannot be instantiated...

    class="solr.CdcrUpdateLog"

    for some reason that class is causing a problem!

    Anyway, anyone has a config that works?

    Regards,
    --Abdel

    --
    Abdel K. Belkasri, PhD
  • Renaud Delbru at May 16, 2016 at 3:45 pm

    I have tried to reproduce the problem, but was unable to.
    I have downloaded the Solr 6.0 distribution, added to the solr config
    the cdcr request handler and modified the update handler to register the
    CdcrUpdateLog, then start Solr in cloud mode and created a new
    collection using my solr config. The cdcr request handler starts
    properly and does not complain about the update log.

    Could you provide more background on how to reproduce the issue ? E.g.,
    how do you create a new collection with the cdcr configuration.
    Are you trying to configure CDCR on collections that were created prior
    to the CDCR configuration ?

    @Erik: I have noticed a small issue in the CDCR page of the reference
    guide. In the code snippet in Configuration -> Source Configuration, the
    <updateHandler> element is nested within the <requestHandler>.

    Thanks
    Regards
    --
    Renaud Delbru
[...]

  • Erick Erickson at May 16, 2016 at 3:52 pm
    Thanks Renaud, fixed.

    On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>
[...]

  • Satvinder Singh at May 16, 2016 at 3:53 pm
    Hi,

    So the way I am doing it is, for both for the Target and Source side, I took a copy of the sample_techproducts_config configset, can created one configset. Then I modified the solrconfig.xml in there, both for the Target and Source side. And then created the collection, and I get the errors. I get the error if I create a new collection or try to reload an existing collection after the solrconfig update.
    Attached is the log and configs.
    Thanks

    Satvinder Singh

    Security Systems Engineer
    satvinder.singh@nc4.com
    703.682.6000 x276 direct
    703.989.8030 cell
    www.NC4.com

[...]

    IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH Vorsitzender des
    Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
    Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
    Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht
    Stuttgart,
    HRB 243294

    Disclaimer: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy and delete any copies you may have received.
  • Satvinder Singh at May 16, 2016 at 3:56 pm
    I also am using a zk ensemble with 3 nodes on each side.

    Thanks

    Satvinder Singh

    Security Systems Engineer
    satvinder.singh@nc4.com
    703.682.6000 x276 direct
    703.989.8030 cell
    www.NC4.com

[...]

  • Renaud Delbru at May 19, 2016 at 11:13 am
    I have reproduced your steps and the cdcr request handler started
    successfully. I have attached to this mail the config sets I have used.
    It is simply the sample_techproducts_config configset with your
    solrconfig.xml.

    I have used solr 6.0.0 with the following commands:

    $ ./bin/solr start -cloud

    $ ./bin/solr create_collection -c test_cdcr -d cdcr_configs

    Connecting to ZooKeeper at localhost:9983 ...
    Uploading /solr-6.0.0/server/solr/configsets/cdcr_configs/conf for
    config test_cdcr to ZooKeeper at localhost:9983

    Creating new collection 'test_cdcr' using command:
    http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=test_cdcr&numShards=1&replicationFactor=1&maxShardsPerNode=1&collection.configName=test_cdcr

    {
        "responseHeader":{
          "status":0,
          "QTime":5765},
        "success":{"127.0.1.1:8983_solr":{
            "responseHeader":{
              "status":0,
              "QTime":4426},
            "core":"test_cdcr_shard1_replica1"}}}

    $ curl http://localhost:8983/solr/test_cdcr/cdcr?action=STATUS

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <response>
    </response>

    The difference is that I have used the embedded zookeeper, not a
    separate ensemble.

    Could you please provide the commands you used to create the collection ?

    Kind Regards
    --
    Renaud Delbru

    wrote:
[...]

  • Satvinder Singh at May 19, 2016 at 12:41 pm
    Hi,

    So this is what I did:----

    I created solr as a service. Below are the steps I followed for that:--

    $ tar xzf solr-X.Y.Z.tgz solr-X.Y.Z/bin/install_solr_service.sh --strip-components=2

    $ sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-X.Y.Z.tgz -i /opt/solr1 -d /var/solr1 -u solr -s solr1 -p 8501
    $ sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-X.Y.Z.tgz -i /opt/solr2 -d /var/solr2 -u solr -s solr2 -p 8502

    Then to start it in cloud I modified the solr1.cmd.in and solr2.cmd.in in /etc/defaults/
    I added ZK_HOST=192.168.56.103:2181,192.168.56.103:2182,192.168.56.103:2183 (192.168.56.103 is where my 3 zookeeper instances are)

    Then I started the 2 solr services solr1 and solr2

    Then I created the configset
    /bin/solr zk -upconfig -z 192.168.56.103:2181,192.168.56.103:2182,192.168.56.103:2183 -n Liferay -d server/solr/configsets/sample_techproducts_configs/conf

    Then I created the collection using:
    http://192.168.56.101:8501/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=dingdong&numShards=1&replicationFactor=2&collection.configName=liferay
    This created fine

    Then I deleted the solrconfig.xml from the zookeeper Liferay configset

    Then I uploaded the new solrconfig.xml to the configset.

    When when I do a reload on the collections I get the error. Or I created a new collection I get the error.

    Thanks

    Satvinder Singh

    Security Systems Engineer
    satvinder.singh@nc4.com
    703.682.6000 x276 direct
    703.989.8030 cell
    www.NC4.com

    wrote:
[...]

  • Satvinder Singh at Jun 7, 2016 at 3:56 pm
    Hi,

    Any updates on this??

    Thanks

      Satvinder Singh

       Security Systems Engineer
         satvinder.singh@nc4.com
         804.744.9630 x273 direct
         703.989.8030 cell

         www.NC4.com <http://www.NC4.com>

       <https://www.linkedin.com/company/nc4> <https://plus.google.com/+Nc4worldwidesolutions/posts> <https://twitter.com/NC4worldwide>

    ?

    wrote:
[...]

  • Renaud Delbru at Jun 8, 2016 at 8:44 am
    Hi,

    unfortunately no, I haven't had the time to reproduce your settings with
    separated zookeeper instances.

    I'll update if I have something.
    --
    Renaud Delbru