I'd like to use the backup command to create a backup of each shard
leader's index periodically. This is for disaster recovery in case our data
center goes offline.

We use SolrCloud leader/replica for day-to-day fault-tolerance and it works
great.

The backup command (http://master_host:port/solr/replication?command=backup)
works just fine but it returns immediately while the actual backup creation
runs in the background on the shard leader.

Is there any way to know when the actual backup is complete? I need that
hook to then move the backup to another storage device outside of our data
center, e.g. S3.

What are others doing for this type of backup process?

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Search Discussions

  • Timothy Potter at Apr 12, 2013 at 7:05 pm
    Update to this ... did some code scanning and it looks like the backup
    status is available via the details command, e.g.

    <lst name="backup">
    <str name="startTime">Fri Apr 12 17:53:17 UTC 2013</str>
    <int name="fileCount">120</int>
    <str name="status">success</str>
    <str name="snapshotCompletedAt">Fri Apr 12 17:58:22 UTC 2013</str>
    </lst>

    So with a little polling of the details command from my backup script and
    I'm good to go. If anyone knows of a more direct way, let me know otherwise
    I'm moving ahead with this approach.

    Cheers,
    Tim

    I'd like to use the backup command to create a backup of each shard
    leader's index periodically. This is for disaster recovery in case our data
    center goes offline.

    We use SolrCloud leader/replica for day-to-day fault-tolerance and it
    works great.

    The backup command (
    http://master_host:port/solr/replication?command=backup) works just fine
    but it returns immediately while the actual backup creation runs in the
    background on the shard leader.

    Is there any way to know when the actual backup is complete? I need that
    hook to then move the backup to another storage device outside of our data
    center, e.g. S3.

    What are others doing for this type of backup process?

    Thanks in advance.
    Tim
  • Nate Fox at Apr 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm
    Tim, thank you for this! I had been looking for this a while back (even
    posted something on serverfault) and never got a decent answer. This is
    exactly what I was looking for.

    --
    Nate Fox
    Sr Systems Engineer

    o: 310.658.5775
    m: 714.248.5350

    Follow us @NEOGOV <http://twitter.com/NEOGOV> and on
    Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/neogov>

    NEOGOV <http://www.neogov.com/> is among the top fastest growing software
    companies in the USA, recognized by Inc 500|5000, Deloitte Fast 500, and
    the LA Business Journal. We are hiring!<http://www.neogov.com/#/company/careers>

    On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Timothy Potter <thelabdude@gmail.com

    I'd like to use the backup command to create a backup of each shard
    leader's index periodically. This is for disaster recovery in case our data
    center goes offline.

    We use SolrCloud leader/replica for day-to-day fault-tolerance and it
    works great.

    The backup command (
    http://master_host:port/solr/replication?command=backup) works just fine
    but it returns immediately while the actual backup creation runs in the
    background on the shard leader.

    Is there any way to know when the actual backup is complete? I need that
    hook to then move the backup to another storage device outside of our data
    center, e.g. S3.

    What are others doing for this type of backup process?

    Thanks in advance.
    Tim

groupsolr-user @
categorieslucene
postedApr 12, '13 at 3:31p
activeApr 12, '13 at 9:11p
websitelucene.apache.org...

2 users in discussion

Timothy Potter: 2 posts Nate Fox: 1 post