I am trying to add a new document to an existing optimized Index with about
600k documents.

It seems like the IndexWriter method AddDocument(doc) is taking a long time
(30 seconds or so)

Is this the usual behavior?

Note: Initially indexing all 600 documents only takes about 20 minutes.

It seems like something is blocking, but I am not sure.

Any insight would be helpful

-Khoa

Search Discussions

  • Nic Wise at Mar 16, 2011 at 10:38 am
    Look up MaxMergeDocs and MergeFactor on IndexWriter. This may be set
    to merge various segments when you add past a certain number of docs,
    which can take a while.

    How big is the index in general? I've worked with multi-GB indexes (up
    to about 250GB) which function fine IF these are set correctly :)

    (I dont have lucene.net docs or VS handy at the moment, so I'm going
    off the java docs, but they are here:

    http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.html#getMaxMergeDocs()
    http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.html#getMergeFactor()

    (those are for 2.4, not sure which version Lucene.NET is coming off at
    the moment)

    --
    Nic Wise
    t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise