Sent: venerdì 31 dicembre 2010 01:02
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org; lucene-net-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Initial committers list for Incubator Proposal
All,

I'm working on the Incubator Proposal now, and need to establish a
list of initial committers.

So far, the following people have come forward and offered to be
committers (in alphabetical order):

Alex Thompson
Ben Martz
Chris Currens
Heath Aldrich
Michael Herndon
Prescott Nasser
Scott Lombard
Simone Chiaretta
Troy Howard

I would like to place an open request for any interested parties to
respond to this message with their request to be a Committer. For
people who are either on that list or for people who would like to be
added, please send a message explaining (briefly) why you think you
will be qualified to be involved in the project and specifically what
ways you hope to be able to contribute.

One thing I would like to point out is that in the Apache world there
is a distinction between Committers and Contributors (aka developers).
See this link for details:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/participation.html#committer

Please consider whether or not you wish to be a Committer or a Contributor.

Some quick rules of thumb:

Committers:

- Committers must be willing to submit a Contributor License Agreement
(CLA). See: http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

- Committers must have enough *consistent* free time to fulfill the
expectations of the ASF in terms of reporting, process, documentation
and remain responsive to the community in terms of communication and
listening to, considering, and discussing community opinion. These
kinds of tasks can consume a lot of time and are some of the first
things people stop down when they start running out of time.

- A Committer may not even write code, but may simply accept, review
and commit code written by others. This is the primary responsibility
of a Committer -- to commit code, whether they wrote it themselves or
not

- Committers may have to perform the unpleasant task of reject
contribution from Contributors and explain why in a fair and objective
manner. This can be frustrating and time consuming. You may need to
play the part of a mentor or engage in debates. You may even be proved
wrong and have to swallow your pride.

- Committers have direct access to the source control and other
resources and so must be personally accountable for the quality of the
same and will need to operate under the process and restrictions ASF
expects

Contributors:

- Contributors might have a lot of free time this month, but get
really busy next month and have no time at all. They can develop code
in short bursts but then drop off the face of the planet indefinitely
after that.

- Contributors could focus on code only or work from a task list
without any need to interact with and be accountable to the community
(as this is the responsibility of the Committers)

- Contributors can do one-time or infrequently needed tasks like
updating the website, documentation, wikis, etc..

- Contributors will need to have anything they create reviewed by a
Committer and ultimately included by a Committer. Some people find
this frustrating, if the Committers are slow to respond or critical of
their work.

So in your responses, please be clear about whether you would like to
offer your help as a Committer or as a Contributor.

Thanks,
Troy

Search Discussions

  • Shashi Kant at Jan 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm
    Troy et al,

    Thanks for taking the initiative in reviving Lucene.net. I would like
    to volunteer my time as a contributor. Specifically I would be
    interested in developing a Real-time branch.

    In fact, I have been working on a Lucene.Net based project I had
    called Pulsr. (https://code.google.com/p/pulsr/). The project is
    inspired even the name is a take on Solr. Pulsr is based on a P2P
    (XMPP/Jabber) model of distributed indexing and querying. I have not
    made any commits yet - hope to do so pretty soon.

    I believe Lucene.net needs what Solr did to Lucene - a real shot in
    the arm by offering an application server with functionality
    out-of-the-box. Perhaps Pulsr could be that.

    Thanks again & Happy new Year all!

    Shashi
    skant@alum.mit.edu

[...]

  • Prescott Nasser at Jan 1, 2011 at 6:17 pm
    There are a number of out of the box projects that I think should be developed as we have time that will help facilitate new people getting started, be used as examples and templates, and give us some good stuff to blog about :). This all goes to the marketing/PR/Community stuff that was sent out earlier by Michael Herndon

    ~Prescott Nasser

[...]

  • Digy at Jan 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm
    A new year, a new beginning.
    Ok, you can count me in.

    DIGY

[...]

  • Troy Howard at Jan 2, 2011 at 11:31 pm
    DIGY,

    Awesome! Glad to have you back in the game.

    Thanks,
    Troy

[...]

  • Lombard, Scott at Jan 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm
    Troy,

    Thank you for all your work on the Incubator Proposal you have done an excellent job.

    I volunteered to be a committer and here is my brief qualification list. I have a BS in Electrical Engineering and currently work in the Automation field. I do extensive programming in MS SQL, ASP.NET, C# primarily to provide useful and pertinent information to my users, from data that is stored in many places and usually from legacy products. Currently I have been using Lucene.Net in a web application I developed to collate data stored in multiple Access databases to give users a simplified interface to our data. I am personally interested in the challenge of developing and documenting an automated process to convert Java Lucene to C#. The work I will be doing for the Lucene.NET project will be done for the most part outside of my job. As a committer I would have adequate time to devote to the project.

    I look forward to being an active member of the Lucene.Net project.

    Scott

[...]

    it from your computer. Thank you, King Industries, Inc.
  • Alex Thompson at Jan 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm
    I haven't actually used Lucene.Net that much but I expect I will in the
    future. I guess I will classify myself as a contributor. I'm a .Net
    developer of several years working as a consultant on enterprise projects. I
    did the test port of lucene using sharpen and am willing to do the java work
    of improving sharpen or working on other porting/post-processing needs. As a
    .Net developer I'm interested in more java projects like lucene coming to
    .Net and hopefully this project will lead to that.

    Alex

[...]

    This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the
    that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If
    you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any
    dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated
    with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
    in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
    deleting it from your computer. Thank you, King Industries, Inc.
  • Ben Martz at Jan 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm
    Hi all,

    After reviewing the committer/contributor guidelines and considering my current work and family obligations, I must regretfully offer my services as a contributor only at this point.

    My name is Ben Martz and I am currently the Chief Software Architect for a small startup in the Bay Area, California. Our product is written in C# from the ground up so I have been infused with all that is .NET and C# for the last 4 years or so. Prior to that I have extensive experience with C/C++/OO software design and development. Two particular strengths I have to offer to Lucene.Net are a strong background in string processing and process automation which I think could serve well in developing and debugging an automated porting process that would serve as the foundation for this project. All work have to take place outside of my normal work day which is why I can only offer myself up as a contributor at this point.

    Cheers,
    Ben
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Troy Howard December 30, 2010 4:01 PM

[...]

  • Frank Yu at Jan 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm
    Troy,

    Please count me as a contributor. I have been using the Lucene.Net 2.4 and 2.9.2 for more than 1 years.

    Thanks,

    Frank Yu

    _____

[...]

  • Glyn Darkin at Jan 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm
    Hi All,

    Could you please add me to the list as a Contributor.

    My name is Glyn Darkin and I am the lead developer on www.tescoentertainment.com. I wrote the original search engine using Lucene.net. It has a product catalog of over 10million products being reindexed every night.
    Being able to implement an enterprise search solution with no license costs was fantastic. Unfortunately we now use Endeca, however I firmly believe that Lucene is as good as Endeca and I would bring it into any commercial project I was working on. I may even be able to bring it back into the site using it for the "Type Ahead" search.

    I have been developing ASP.Net websites for 8 years now and have been working with search technologies for over 2 years.

    Cheers

    Glyn

[...]

    Darkin Systems Ltd
    Mob: 07961815649
    Fax: 08717145065
    Web: www.darkinsystems.com

    Company No: 6173001
    VAT No: 906350835
  • Wyatt Barnett at Jan 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm
    My names is Wyatt Barnett. I currently work as Director of IT at the
    National Cable & Telecommunications Association in Washington, DC,
    USA. I have used more than a few information retrieval/full text query
    systems in the past, but nothing has matched what one can do with
    Lucene.NET and a bit of c-sharp-fu. I also think that we are fast
    moving into a world with a veritable data firehose and any tool we can
    use to filter the data down to the relevent bits is very, very
    important.

    I've got no Java background so I'm not sure how much help I can be
    with the porting process. Where I think I can help is:

    * Build automation -- why aren't we looking at making the porting
    process mechanically automated? I'll elaborate separately.
    * Community/support/evangalisim -- as a recovering liberal arts major
    I'm technically more qualified to write english than code.

    Unfortunately, my schedule is far too unpredictable to take on the
    role of a committer, but I would be honored to join as a contributor.