OK. Here is the setup:

One server with an IndexWriter indexing documents with multiple threads
adding new documents to the index. The directory is FSDirectory on NTFS disk
running on a Windows 2008 server box.

Another server uses Robocopy /MIR to sync down the index folder to another
NTFS Windows 2008 server every one minute. It runs two Robocopy commands:
One is to copy _*.* and the second one is to copy segments*.*

The second server has one IndexReader working on the this local synched
folder to in a read-only mode serving search requests.

Is there anything I should/shouldn't do in this setup? Is it right way to
separate writer and readers with Lucene on a Windows environment?

Thanks all

Search Discussions

  • Khash Sajadi at Sep 3, 2010 at 5:57 am
    Following this, I played with a dual server config and here is what I found:
    1. Using RoboCopy as described in my previous email works without problems.
    Out of many queries however, the search got "stuck" (had to re-run the query
    again). This could be related to other issues like memory pressure but I
    thought it might be attributed to a mid-sync query.
    2. Make sure the write.lock file is also copied. Otherwise,
    IndexReader.Reopen() wouldn't use the new segments.

    If anyone can add more light into this, I'd love the hear it.

    One server with an IndexWriter indexing documents with multiple threads
    adding new documents to the index. The directory is FSDirectory on NTFS disk
    running on a Windows 2008 server box.

    Another server uses Robocopy /MIR to sync down the index folder to another
    NTFS Windows 2008 server every one minute. It runs two Robocopy commands:
    One is to copy _*.* and the second one is to copy segments*.*

    The second server has one IndexReader working on the this local synched
    folder to in a read-only mode serving search requests.

    Is there anything I should/shouldn't do in this setup? Is it right way to
    separate writer and readers with Lucene on a Windows environment?

    Thanks all

grouplucene-net-user @
categorieslucene
postedSep 2, '10 at 5:08p