Hi :)

I've got the following text indexed with simpleAnalyzer :

"security is a real problem."

If I try to search for secu*, it will find the document. But if I try to
search for curi*, there are no results.

I raed that it's not possible to add a * wildcard at the begining of the
query so what should I do to handle this type of query where the user
write just a part of the word (which is in the middle of the word) ?

Thank you :)

  • Ian Lea at Jun 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm
    See the javadocs for QueryParser.setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean
    allowLeadingWildcard). And from the FAQ, see
    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#What_wildcard_search_support_is_available_from_Lucene.3F

    Be sure to heed the warnings about performance.

    --
    Ian.
    I've got the following text indexed with simpleAnalyzer :

    "security is a real problem."

    If I try to search for secu*, it will find the document. But if I try to
    search for curi*, there are no results.

    I raed that it's not possible to add a * wildcard at the begining of the
    query so what should I do to handle this type of query where the user write
    just a part of the word (which is in the middle of the word) ?

    Thank you :)

  • G.Long at Jun 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm
    Thank you for the tip :)

    I'll try it.

    Regards,
    Gary

    See the javadocs for QueryParser.setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean
    allowLeadingWildcard). And from the FAQ, see
    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#What_wildcard_search_support_is_available_from_Lucene.3F

    Be sure to heed the warnings about performance.

    --
    Ian.

    I've got the following text indexed with simpleAnalyzer :

    "security is a real problem."

    If I try to search for secu*, it will find the document. But if I try to
    search for curi*, there are no results.

    I raed that it's not possible to add a * wildcard at the begining of the
    query so what should I do to handle this type of query where the user write
    just a part of the word (which is in the middle of the word) ?

    Thank you :)

  • Hiller, Dean x66079 at Jun 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm
    I wonder if you would be better off creating a second index with the words reversed.....depends on your application profile I guess and what you want, but an additional index may not be too bad in some cases to speed up the search.

    Dean

    See the javadocs for QueryParser.setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean
    allowLeadingWildcard). And from the FAQ, see
    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#What_wildcard_search_support_is_available_from_Lucene.3F

    Be sure to heed the warnings about performance.

    --
    Ian.

    I've got the following text indexed with simpleAnalyzer :

    "security is a real problem."

    If I try to search for secu*, it will find the document. But if I try to
    search for curi*, there are no results.

    I raed that it's not possible to add a * wildcard at the begining of the
    query so what should I do to handle this type of query where the user write
    just a part of the word (which is in the middle of the word) ?

    Thank you :)

    attachments from your system.

  • Danny Lade at Jun 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm
    IMO, a "reversed word Index" does not work in this case, because he's looking for a word in the middle (See curi*).

    Another idea is to build word chunks and save them in a second index plus docID of the first index.

    e.g. security go to "security ecurity curity ... ity"

    This is much faster to search (just "curi*") but getting much bigger in index size. So it depends what is needed ...

    Greetings Danny

[...]

  • G.Long at Jun 27, 2011 at 7:59 am
    Thank you for your advices :)

    I'll try this.