Hi all,

Interesting question: is it possible to color search results in a
web-page based on their score? e.g. most relevant results in green, and
then different shades through orange, yellow, red and then white.

Theoretically, one could take the highest score and color based on
proximity / distribution, but the highest score can be invalid in itself.

I could bring in a hardcoded cutoff point, where results are not
considered relevant and not color any results if the highest score
doesn't go above that threshold (e.g. score = 1.0), but then again -
complex queries can yield relevant results with low scores.

So my question is: has anyone ever tackled this issue, and is this even
doable?

Thanks in advance!

Itamar.

  • Mark Harwood at Jun 16, 2011 at 10:22 pm
    See Highlighter's GradientFormatter

    Cheers
    Mark

    Interesting question: is it possible to color search results in a web-page based on their score? e.g. most relevant results in green, and then different shades through orange, yellow, red and then white.

    Theoretically, one could take the highest score and color based on proximity / distribution, but the highest score can be invalid in itself.

    I could bring in a hardcoded cutoff point, where results are not considered relevant and not color any results if the highest score doesn't go above that threshold (e.g. score = 1.0), but then again - complex queries can yield relevant results with low scores.

    So my question is: has anyone ever tackled this issue, and is this even doable?

    Thanks in advance!

    Itamar.

  • Itamar Syn-Hershko at Jun 16, 2011 at 10:30 pm
    No, that was not what I meant.

    I'm not interested in coloring the actual text, but in giving the user
    an indication of how relevant the results are. Instead of displaying the
    result score, I want to give some visual meter to show that. The highest
    ranking result will be green if the it is really relevant to the query,
    yellow if less and so on.

    My question is if there's a good enough way to measure this - for
    example if the first results is 20 times the score of the second, or
    that's something I can't really do...

    Interesting question: is it possible to color search results in a web-page based on their score? e.g. most relevant results in green, and then different shades through orange, yellow, red and then white.

    Theoretically, one could take the highest score and color based on proximity / distribution, but the highest score can be invalid in itself.

    I could bring in a hardcoded cutoff point, where results are not considered relevant and not color any results if the highest score doesn't go above that threshold (e.g. score = 1.0), but then again - complex queries can yield relevant results with low scores.

    So my question is: has anyone ever tackled this issue, and is this even doable?

    Thanks in advance!

    Itamar.

  • Andrzej Bialecki at Jun 17, 2011 at 12:26 am