Hello!
I am purchased "Lucene in Action", 2nd Ed., and posted the
question below at the Manning Forum. Mike MCCandless suggested that I
send it to you.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

________ the question I posted ___________
I would like the search program to return with segments of a document
("paragraphs") that contain my search phrase, rather than simply
pointers to the whole document. in searching among applications based
upon the Lucene, I have found only one that seems to have this
functionality. It is at http://www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop/ . Can
someone point me to some other Lucene-based applications where the
search engine returns text segments from within documents?
Thanks in advance.
________________________

N.B. I know Lucene can be modified to do what I wish. My problem is
that my professional obligations do not allow the time for me to
build the entire application that I need. Thus I am searching for
one that exists already, that I can adapt quickly, and which has all
the code with which I must surround Lucene to make a full-blown
application.

The Bible application I cite requires preprocessing of the documents
into SWORD format. I will try that route if that is all that is
available. I thought I would "look around" (with your help) before
trying to take on the SWORD-format issue.

Thanks.

  • Shashi Kant at May 26, 2011 at 1:09 am

    document ("paragraphs") that contain my search phrase, rather than simply
    pointers to the whole document. in searching among applications based upon
    the Lucene, I have found only one that seems to have this functionality. It
    is at http://www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop/ . Can someone point me to some
    other Lucene-based applications where the search engine returns text
    segments from within documents?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Sujit Pal at May 26, 2011 at 1:32 am
    Hi Leroy,

    Would it make sense to index as Lucene documents the unit to be
    searched? So if you want paragraphs to be shown in search results, you
    could parse the source document during indexing into paragraphs and
    index them as separate Lucene documents.

    -sujit