I need to collect some diagnostic info from customer sites, so I would like
to get info on the status of lucene indexes...but I don't want the process
of collecting to take very long.

So I am considering Checkindex. I tested in a small index (60k docs) and it
took 12 seconds. A site usually has up to 100 indexes (indexes have 6
fields) so running it for every index like this is unfeasible.

Is there a way to make is faster (even if it verifies less things?). Is the
time Checkindex will take proportional to number of docs? I am on Lucene 3.1

thanks

Search Discussions

  • Erick Erickson at Apr 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm
    What information do you need? Could you just ping the stats component
    and parse the results (basically the info on the admin/stats page).

    Best
    Erick
    I need to collect some diagnostic info from customer sites, so I would like
    to get info on the status of lucene indexes...but I don't want the process
    of collecting to take very long.

    So I am considering Checkindex. I tested in a small index (60k docs) and it
    took 12 seconds. A site usually has up to 100 indexes (indexes have 6
    fields) so running it for every index like this is unfeasible.

    Is there a way to make is faster (even if it verifies less things?). Is the
    time Checkindex will take proportional to number of docs? I am on Lucene
    3.1

    thanks
  • Jm at Apr 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm
    Thanks Erick, but I guess what you refer to lives in Solr right? I am using
    plain Lucene.
    What information do you need? Could you just ping the stats component
    and parse the results (basically the info on the admin/stats page).

    Best
    Erick
    I need to collect some diagnostic info from customer sites, so I would like
    to get info on the status of lucene indexes...but I don't want the process
    of collecting to take very long.

    So I am considering Checkindex. I tested in a small index (60k docs) and it
    took 12 seconds. A site usually has up to 100 indexes (indexes have 6
    fields) so running it for every index like this is unfeasible.

    Is there a way to make is faster (even if it verifies less things?). Is the
    time Checkindex will take proportional to number of docs? I am on Lucene
    3.1

    thanks
  • Simon Willnauer at Apr 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm
    what kind of diagnostics are you looking for?

    simon
[...]

  • Jm at Apr 14, 2011 at 8:12 pm
    mostly status of the indexes, whether there is some corruption or all is ok.

    On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com