I'm performing several queries and I get scores per each document which I
have been told being not comparable across queries.

For example, if I get score: 8.234234 for a specific document from a query
A, I cannot compare such score with the document score: 3.342432 of the
query B.

However I need to find a comparable score across queries, and more
specifically the cosine similarity... as similarity measure between my query
document and the documents in the collection.

could you give me some tip about it ?
thanks

Search Discussions

  • Patrick Diviacco at Mar 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm
    Update:

    I actually don't understand why if the scores are substantially the cosine
    similarity between query and the docs, such scores are not comparable
    between queries.

    Isn't cosine similarity describing the divergence between vectors ? If I
    have vector A and B (my queries) and vector C (a doc), can't I say which
    vector is more similar to vector C by considering the score ? In other
    words, can't I compare the scores ?

    I'm asking this because I've been told I cannot compare the score of a query
    with the score of another one.

    Furthermore, my queries are docs from the collection: I compare 1 doc from
    the Collection against all other docs.

    I need some more info about this...
    thanks

    I'm performing several queries and I get scores per each document which I
    have been told being not comparable across queries.

    For example, if I get score: 8.234234 for a specific document from a query
    A, I cannot compare such score with the document score: 3.342432 of the
    query B.

    However I need to find a comparable score across queries, and more
    specifically the cosine similarity... as similarity measure between my query
    document and the documents in the collection.

    could you give me some tip about it ?
    thanks

groupjava-user @
categorieslucene