Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been building lucene index to a MS Windows Server 2003 test
environment with no problem. When attempting to build the same index
onto a Windows Server 2008 machine I get the following error:

Cannot create directory: \\whatever\index
at org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.acquireTestLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:75)
at org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.makeLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:142)
at org.apache.lucene.store.Directory.makeLock(Directory.java:146)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.(LibraryBuilder.java:167)

I found some info via google where people were having a similar issue
now and then, but this is always. Anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks,

Spencer

  • Ian Lea at May 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm
    No answers but some things you could try:

    There have been some reports of problems with file paths being
    specified in different ways - UNC versus something else perhaps.

    Use SimpleFSLockFactory rather than the default native class.

    Try a recent version of lucene unless you already are.

    --
    Ian.

    On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Spencer Tickner
    I've been building lucene index to a MS Windows Server 2003 test
    environment with no problem. When attempting to build the same index
    onto a Windows Server 2008 machine I get the following error:

    Cannot create directory: \\whatever\index
    at org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.acquireTestLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:75)
    at org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.makeLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:142)
    at org.apache.lucene.store.Directory.makeLock(Directory.java:146)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:1108)
    at qp.builder.LibraryBuilder.buildNewLibrary(LibraryBuilder.java:167)

    I found some info via google where people were having a similar issue
    now and then, but this is always. Anyone had a similar issue?

    Thanks,

    Spencer

  • Chris Hostetter at May 27, 2010 at 1:23 am
    It would be helpful to know:
    1) what version of Lucene you are using
    2) what exactly like 167 of LibraryBuilder looks like (ie: what options
    are you using when instantiating the IndexWRiter)
    3) what filesystems are using on each of the two different machines you
    are using.
    4) does it really say "\\whatever\index" ? ... that's the actual directory
    path you are using on both machines? and that same path works on one
    machine but not the other?

    :
    : Cannot create directory: \\whatever\index
    : at org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.acquireTestLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:75)
    : at org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.makeLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:142)
    : at org.apache.lucene.store.Directory.makeLock(Directory.java:146)
    : at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:1108)
    : at qp.builder.LibraryBuilder.buildNewLibrary(LibraryBuilder.java:167)
    :
    : I found some info via google where people were having a similar issue
    : now and then, but this is always. Anyone had a similar issue?
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Spencer
    :
    :

    -Hoss

  • Spencer Tickner at May 27, 2010 at 4:09 pm
    Hi Ian and Chris,

    Thanks for the responses.

    I seem to have jarred the lock loose. Not exactly sure what step did
    it as I tried tweeking the OS, using Ian's suggestion of the
    SimpleFSLockFactory and tried various UNC paths to specify the
    directory. I've tried to work backwards to re-create the problem but
    alas, everything seems to be working fine.

    I'll post the specific problem if I can find it.

    Thanks,

    Spencer

    On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Chris Hostetter