I am using Apache threads to invoke a cgi , which is opening and closing
the index searcher for every thread.
for all threads , m making searches. Does that mean , for every thread
the indexes would be loaded on to memory for searching.
coz, then its very inefficient.

Is there any method by which we can conserve the instance between the
Apache threads.

Thanks and regards,
Suman

  • Ian Lea at Mar 23, 2010 at 10:39 am
    Indexes aren't exactly loaded into memory when opened, but your
    approach certainly is inefficient. A common alternative is to have
    apache talking to e.g. tomcat and tomcat will keep an index open. Or
    send queries to solr or a daemon or whatever. Your cgi scripts could
    run a program which talks to solr which would keep the index open.
    Lots of options but running a program which opens a searcher for every
    invocation is probably the most inefficient of all!

    --
    Ian.