I have been using Java/lucene for a few years and it works well for me.

Recently we started to use PHP/lucene from Zend, I found some problems, especially
that for each query, it immediately loads whole term id/score (other info..) array into
memory, this would cause memory exhausion if there are many docs and query is based
on a common term.

I plan to improve PHP lucene query implementation based on Java lucene (I know Java
lucene code reasonably OK), but it seems that a lot of changes are needed, I would just
like a high level guidance: is this doable within a week, have other people already had similar
experiences?

Thanks very much for helps, Lisheng

  • Chris Lu at Feb 19, 2010 at 11:15 pm
    PHP doesn't have java like "static" variables, right? They are "stateless".
    All the information like term info that's loaded in the memory will be
    gone for the next search.

    You should use DBSight if you just have one week.

    --

    Chris Lu
    -------------------------

    Zhang, Lisheng wrote:
    Hi,

    I have been using Java/lucene for a few years and it works well for me.

    Recently we started to use PHP/lucene from Zend, I found some problems, especially
    that for each query, it immediately loads whole term id/score (other info..) array into
    memory, this would cause memory exhausion if there are many docs and query is based
    on a common term.

    I plan to improve PHP lucene query implementation based on Java lucene (I know Java
    lucene code reasonably OK), but it seems that a lot of changes are needed, I would just
    like a high level guidance: is this doable within a week, have other people already had similar
    experiences?

    Thanks very much for helps, Lisheng

  • Zhang, Lisheng at Feb 20, 2010 at 12:30 am
    Hi, Thanks very much for reply! Yes, PHP is stateless, just like
    old CGI. All I can do is to get result efficiently within the
    given query.

    But we already got into PHP, I will see what the best I can do.

    Best regards, Lisheng