I have a Date field in my Lucene index that is currently stored as a
String field with format: YYYYMMDDHHMISS. I perform RangeFilter on it
when searching and also sort the results specifying it as a String
field. My question is, will converting it to a Numeric field and start
using NumericRangeFilter and sorting based on numeric field will give me
some performance gain? or will it be insignificant?

thanks
-siraj

This electronic mail message and any attachments may contain information which is privileged, sensitive and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named as the addressee above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution (electronic or otherwise) or forwarding of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by telephone, facsimile, or e-mail as noted above to arrange for the return of any electronic mail or attachments. Thank You.

  • Jake Mannix at Oct 9, 2009 at 9:05 pm
    If you are really using all of that precision (down to the second) the
    short answer is YES.

    If you can remove much of that precision (only keep down to the day,
    for example), then you may be able to get perfectly good performance
    with strings alone when the range is only over a small set of terms,
    although it's possible even here you will get a performance gain with
    NumericRangeFilter.

    -jake