Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene dev community (a growing community far larger
than just the committers) I would like to announce the first release
candidate for Lucene 2.9.

Please download and check it out – take it for a spin and kick the
tires. If all goes well, we hope to release the final version of
Lucene 2.9 in a little over a week.

While we generally try and maintain full backwards compatibility
between major versions, Lucene 2.9 has a variety of breaks that are
spelled out in the 'Changes in backwards compatibility policy' section
of CHANGES.txt.

We recommend that you recompile your application with Lucene 2.9
rather than attempting to “drop” it in. This will alert you to any
issues you may have to fix if you are affected by one of the backward
compatibility breaks. As always, its a really good idea to thoroughly
read CHANGES.txt before upgrading. Also, remember that this is a
release candidate, and not the final Lucene 2.9 release.

Lucene 2.9 comes with a bevy of new features, including:

Per segment searching and caching (can lead to much faster reopen
among other things)

Near real-time search capabilities added to IndexWriter

New queries, including NumericRangeQuery and NumericRangeFilter –
fast, highly scalable alternatives to RangeQuery/RangeFilter for
numeric searches.

Smarter, more scalable multi-term queries (wildcard, range, etc)

A freshly optimized Collector/Scorer API

Improved Unicode support

A new Attribute based TokenStream API

A new QueryParser framework in contrib with a core QueryParser
replacement impl included.

….

And many, many more features, bug fixes, optimizations, and various
improvements. You can find the full list of changes here:

HTML version:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/Changes.html

Text version:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/CHANGES.txt

Many changes have also occurred in Lucene's contrib area:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/contrib/CHANGES.txt

Download release candidate 1 here:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9rc1/

Be sure to report back with any issues you find!

Thanks,

Mark Miller

  • Mark Miller at Aug 28, 2009 at 5:08 pm
    Apologies - you are correct - contrib/analyzers is in src but not the
    jar distrib. I will address whatever is up with the build process and
    put up another RC when apache servers are back up.

    Thanks for pointing this out,

    - Mark

    Bogdan Ghidireac wrote:
    Thank you, Lucene 2.9 is a great release...

    I have one issue so far - I cannot find the contrib/analyzers jars,
    only the sources are present.

    Bogdan

[...]

    &.

    And many, many more features, bug fixes, optimizations, and various
    improvements. You can find the full list of changes here:

    HTML version:
    http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/Changes.html

    Text version:
    http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/CHANGES.txt

    Many changes have also occurred in Lucene's contrib area:
    http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/contrib/CHANGES.txt

    Download release candidate 1 here:
    http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9rc1/

    Be sure to report back with any issues you find!

    Thanks,

    Mark Miller

    - Mark

    http://www.lucidimagination.com

  • Mark Miller at Aug 28, 2009 at 5:07 pm
    The dist build issues have been addressed and RC2 will include the
    missing analyzer and db contrib binaries.

    Unfortunately, people.apache.org is not up at the moment
    (https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/apache_org_downtime_initial_report),
    but I will put up Lucene 2.9 RC2 when it comes back up.