Cheers
Amin

Search Discussions

  • Ganesh at Jul 1, 2009 at 10:39 am
    Yes. Single IndexWriter could be maintained in a App and it could be closed when the App is shutdown.

    Regards
    Ganesh

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Amin Mohammed-Coleman" <aminmc@gmail.com>
    To: <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
    Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 1:27 PM
    Subject: IndexWriter

    Hi

    This question has probably been asked before so apologies for asking it
    again. Just to confirm that it is ok to use a single index writer in a web
    application and only close that single instance on application shutdown? As
    the indexwriter is thread safe there is no need for any external
    synchronisation. Am I correct in thinking this?

    I have configured via spring a single index writer which is used in the
    application and I use the same one for adding and updating documents. This
    index writer is closed when the spring application context shutsdown.

    Cheers
    Amin

  • Simon Willnauer at Jul 1, 2009 at 10:47 am
    You might want to take care of the write.lock file in the index
    directory if your application breaks down. If you do not close the
    writer and restart you app you might get an LockObtainFailedException.

    simon

    Yes. Single IndexWriter could be maintained in a App and it could be closed when the App is shutdown.

    Regards
    Ganesh

    This question has probably been asked before so apologies for asking it
    again.  Just to confirm that it is ok to use a single index writer in a web
    application and only close that single instance on application shutdown?  As
    the indexwriter is thread safe there is no need for any external
    synchronisation.  Am I correct in thinking this?

    I have configured via spring a single index writer which is used in the
    application and I use the same one for adding and updating documents.  This
    index writer is closed when the spring application context shutsdown.

    Cheers
    Amin

  • Amin Mohammed-Coleman at Jul 1, 2009 at 12:10 pm
    Hi all

    Thanks for your response. I guess when I add or update using the
    indexwriter I need to do the following:

    }finally {
    if (IndexReader.isLocked(directory)) {
    IndexReader.unlock(directory);

    Cheers
    Amin

[...]

    http://in.messenger.yahoo.com
  • Ganesh at Jul 2, 2009 at 7:04 am
    No. You should not do this for every document you add or update.

    First time, When you open your writer, if the directory is locked, it will throw LockObtainFailedException, In this case, Unlock it and Open the writer again.

    Regards
    Ganesh

    This question has probably been asked before so apologies for asking it
    again. Just to confirm that it is ok to use a single index writer in a
    web
    application and only close that single instance on application shutdown?
    As
    the indexwriter is thread safe there is no need for any external
    synchronisation. Am I correct in thinking this?

    I have configured via spring a single index writer which is used in the
    application and I use the same one for adding and updating documents.
    This
    index writer is closed when the spring application context shutsdown.

    Cheers
    Amin
    http://in.messenger.yahoo.com
  • Simon Willnauer at Jul 2, 2009 at 7:07 am
    Ganesh is right you should check once you webapp is starting up if you
    keep the writer open as long as you app is up and running. I just
    mentioned it to make you aware of it and prevent some surprises if the
    app crashes.

    simon

[...]

  • Amin Mohammed-Coleman at Jul 2, 2009 at 7:55 am
    Ok

    My index writers are configured using spring. So basically I need to have
    spring application listener that checks on start up whether the directory is
    locked if it is then unlock. On application shutdown i have a listener that
    unlocks the directory if is locked.

    Not sure if that made sense.

    Cheers
    Amin
[...]

  • Simon Willnauer at Jul 2, 2009 at 8:05 am
    I don't know about your setup but you should do it before spring
    creates you indexwriter. you could use a wrapper for that indexwriter
    to unlock ahead of creating the delegate or rather have some startup
    listener which checks if it is locked and in turn have a shutdown
    listener which closes the writer.

    simon