So I've read a lot about nightmares with lucene over shared indices using NFS, and was curious if anyone had any experience running Lucene over iSCSI? Specifically if the same sort of lock failure issues occur as does with NFS. I'm specifically looking into multple machines mounted to a SAN via iSCSI with accelerated hardware initiator.

Looking to just get a general idea before investing in the possible solution.

Thanks,
Jordon

Search Discussions

  • Michael McCandless at Jun 2, 2009 at 7:48 pm
    I don't have any specific experience with iSCSI, so what follows is
    speculation...

    I think iSCSI, which just routes SCSI commands over TCP/IP to some
    remote storage device, is at a much lower level than NFS. IE, to the
    computer this remote device acts like a local device, and therefore
    you can install any normal local filesystem on it.

    So I'd expect that none of the caveats with NFS apply to iSCSI,
    assuming you treat it like a local drive.

    If you get interesting performance numbers from using Lucene over
    iSCSI, please post back!

    Mike