I am using Lucene 2.4.1 via Pylucene and have encountered the following
behavior:
When there are deleted documents in the index the search scores are
identical to those that exist had those documents not been deleted.
If I optimize the index and the deleted documents are actually removed, the
the scoring is the same as if those documents were never indexed at all.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?
Optimization is not a feasible option for my use where there are as many
indexing actions as searching, and they are mixed.

Search Discussions

  • Yonik Seeley at May 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm

    I am using Lucene 2.4.1 via Pylucene and have encountered the following
    behavior:
    When there are deleted documents in the index the search scores are
    identical to those that exist had those documents not been deleted.
    If I optimize the index and the deleted documents are actually removed, the
    the scoring is the same as if those documents were never indexed at all.
    This is working as designed... a known design tradeoff / limitation.
    When a document is marked as deleted, document frequency for terms
    don't change (changing them would be impractical).

    -Yonik
    http://www.lucidimagination.com