Hi all,

I'm using Lucene 2.4.1. for building an ngram index. Indexing works
well until I try to open the index built so far with Luke. A
MergeException is thrown, see below. Opening an index with Luke during
indexing never caused problems with Lucene 2.3. Anyone familiar with
this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Martine van der Heijden

Exception in thread "Lucene Merge Thread #3067"
org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\indexngram\_k0z.fnm (Het systeem kan
het opgegeven bestand niet vinden)
at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.handleMergeException(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:309)
at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:286)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\indexngram\_k0z.fnm (Het
systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden)
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.(FSDirectory.java:552)
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.(FSDirectory.java:488)
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:482)
at org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.copyFile(CompoundFileWriter.java:221)
at org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.close(CompoundFileWriter.java:184)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.createCompoundFile(SegmentMerger.java:204)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4263)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:3884)
at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:205)
at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:260)

  • Christiaan Fluit at Apr 21, 2009 at 8:27 pm
    I have experienced similar problems (see the "semi-infinite loop during
    merging" thread - still working out the problem): the merger gets into
    an infinite loop and causes my drive to be filled with temporary files
    that are not deleted, until it runs out of space. Sometimes it exits
    with a MergeException wrapping one of a variety of IOExceptions (e.g. a
    FileNotFoundException), sometimes it just keeps on consuming all
    available CPU time.

    I think the "_k0z.fnm" file name indicates that a lot of segments have
    already been created, as it starts iterating with _0, _1, ... I don't
    want to jump to conclusions immediately, but this is consistent with a
    merger gone loose.

    Was your drive full as well afterwards?

    Regards,

    Chris
    --

    Martine Woudstra wrote:
[...]

    at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:212)
    at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:552)
    at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.<init>(FSDirectory.java:582)
    at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:488)
    at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:482)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.copyFile(CompoundFileWriter.java:221)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.close(CompoundFileWriter.java:184)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.createCompoundFile(SegmentMerger.java:204)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4263)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:3884)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:205)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:260)

  • Michael McCandless at Apr 21, 2009 at 8:45 pm

    I have experienced similar problems (see the "semi-infinite loop during
    merging" thread - still working out the problem): the merger gets into an
    infinite loop and causes my drive to be filled with temporary files that are
    not deleted, until it runs out of space.
    Christiaan, I responded on that thread on where to sprinkle prints...
    any update?

    Mike

  • Christiaan Fluit at Apr 21, 2009 at 9:54 pm

    Michael McCandless wrote:
    On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Christiaan Fluit
    I have experienced similar problems (see the "semi-infinite loop during
    merging" thread - still working out the problem): the merger gets into an
    infinite loop and causes my drive to be filled with temporary files that are
    not deleted, until it runs out of space.
    Christiaan, I responded on that thread on where to sprinkle prints...
    any update?
    I have some new results. I will post them in the original thread.

    Regards,

    Chris

  • Michael McCandless at Apr 21, 2009 at 8:44 pm
    Are you opening the index with Luke while indexing is still running?

    Also, I don't understand why Luke would be causing any merging to
    occur. Or: did you ask Luke to optimize your index?

    Mike