What's the best free tool for encoding detection? For example we have
a ASCII file README.txt, which needs to be indexed, but we need to
know its encoding before we can convert it to Java String.

I saw some free tools on the market, but have no experiences with any
of them yet? What is the best choice according to your suggestion?

Thanks very much for helps, Lisheng

  • Robert Muir at Mar 27, 2009 at 7:57 pm
    i've been using the one in icu for some time...

    http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4j/com/ibm/icu/text/CharsetDetector.html
    What's the best free tool for encoding detection? For example we have
    a ASCII file README.txt, which needs to be indexed, but we need to
    know its encoding before we can convert it to Java String.

    I saw some free tools on the market, but have no experiences with any
    of them yet? What is the best choice according to your suggestion?

    Thanks very much for helps, Lisheng

    Robert Muir
    rcmuir@gmail.com

groupjava-user @
categorieslucene
postedMar 27, '09 at 6:58p
activeMar 27, '09 at 7:57p
websitelucene.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Robert Muir: 1 post Zhang, Lisheng: 1 post