Hi -
I am just curious - what is the approximate release target date that we have for Lucene 2.9 ( currently in beta in dev).

  • Michael McCandless at Dec 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm
    Well... there are a couple threads on java-dev discussing this "now":

    http://www.nabble.com/2.9-3.0-plan---Java-1.5-td20972994.html
    http://www.nabble.com/2.9,-3.0-and-deprecation-td20099343.html

    though they seem to have petered out.

    Also we have 29 open issues for 2.9:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310110&fixfor=12312682&resolution=-1&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

    For 2.4 it took at least a month to whittle the list down to 0.

    So it's hard to say? I'd love to see 2.9 out earlyish next year though.

    Mike

    Kay Kay wrote:
    Hi -
    I am just curious - what is the approximate release target date that
    we have for Lucene 2.9 ( currently in beta in dev).

  • Ganesh at Dec 19, 2008 at 4:31 am
    Does Lucene 2.9 has real time search? Any improvements in sorting? Any
    facility to store a payload per document (without updating document)?

    Please highlight the important feature?

    Regards
    Ganesh

    Kay Kay wrote:
    Hi -
    I am just curious - what is the approximate release target date that we
    have for Lucene 2.9 ( currently in beta in dev).

  • Mark Miller at Dec 19, 2008 at 4:58 am
    Well look at the issues and see for yourself :)

    Its a subjective call I think. Heres my take:

    There are not going to be too many sweeping changes in the next release.
    There are tons of little bug fixes and improvements, but not a lot of
    the bullet point type stuff that you mention in your wishlist. Its a
    whole lot of little steps forward.

    When it comes to sorting, there a couple possible goodies coming in the
    next release:

    TrieRangeQuery has been added to contrib. Super awesome, super
    efficient, large scale sorting.

    Work is ongoing to change searching semantics so that sorting is much
    faster in many cases. In fact, their may be search speed improvements
    across the board in many cases (don't quote me <g>). Sort fieldcache
    faster. Also, Filters and Fieldcaches may be pushed down to a single
    segment, making reopening sort fieldcaches *much* more efficient. Thats
    a nice step towards realtime.

    RangeQuery, PrefixQuery and WildcardQuery will all have a constant score
    mode as well - this avoids maxclause limits and is often much faster on
    very large indexes.

    Locallucene, a very cool bit of code that allows geo search, might make
    contrib for the next release.

    Beyond that, there are a few more little gems, but its a lot of little
    fixes and improvements more than big features.

    Column stride fields and flexible indexing will not be in the next
    release in my opinion, but a lot of progress towards flexible indexing
    has been made.

    Keep in mind thats a biased view of the next release - I worked on two
    of those issues. Be sure to take it all with a healthy grain of salt.

    - Mark

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael McCandless"
    <lucene@mikemccandless.com>

    Kay Kay wrote:
    Hi -
    I am just curious - what is the approximate release target date
    that we have for Lucene 2.9 ( currently in beta in dev).

  • Mark Miller at Dec 19, 2008 at 5:33 am

    Mark Miller wrote:

    TrieRangeQuery has been added to contrib. Super awesome, super
    efficient, large scale sorting.
    Sorry. Its way past my bedtime. Large scale numerical range searching.
    Sorting on the brain.

  • Michael McCandless at Dec 19, 2008 at 11:24 am
    The new extensible TokenStream API (based on AttributeSource) is also
    in 2.9.

    Mike

    Mark Miller wrote:
    Well look at the issues and see for yourself :)

    Its a subjective call I think. Heres my take:

    There are not going to be too many sweeping changes in the next
    release. There are tons of little bug fixes and improvements, but
    not a lot of the bullet point type stuff that you mention in your
    wishlist. Its a whole lot of little steps forward.

    When it comes to sorting, there a couple possible goodies coming in
    the next release:

    TrieRangeQuery has been added to contrib. Super awesome, super
    efficient, large scale sorting.

    Work is ongoing to change searching semantics so that sorting is
    much faster in many cases. In fact, their may be search speed
    improvements across the board in many cases (don't quote me <g>).
    Sort fieldcache loading in the multi segment case will likely also
    be *blazingly* faster. Also, Filters and Fieldcaches may be pushed

    Kay Kay wrote:
    Hi -
    I am just curious - what is the approximate release target date
    that we have for Lucene 2.9 ( currently in beta in dev).

  • Mark Miller at Dec 19, 2008 at 4:02 pm
    Right, I was debating throwing that in myself - its great stuff, but I
    wasn't sure how much of a feature benefit it brought now. My
    understanding is that its main benefit is along the flexible indexing
    path and using multiple consumers eg its more setup for the goodness yet
    to come. My understanding is certainly less than yours though :)

    - Mark

    Kay Kay wrote:
    Hi -
    I am just curious - what is the approximate release target date
    that we have for Lucene 2.9 ( currently in beta in dev).

  • Michael McCandless at Dec 19, 2008 at 4:07 pm
    You're right, there's not much benefit now... there will be more
    benefit when flexible indexing is available. Though, you could set up
    an analysis chain where the producer puts something "new" onto each
    token, and somewhere downstream you pick that up and do something
    interesting with it.

    Mike

    Kay Kay wrote:
    Hi -
    I am just curious - what is the approximate release target date
    that we have for Lucene 2.9 ( currently in beta in dev).

  • Kay Kay at Dec 19, 2008 at 4:31 pm
    Thanks Mike for the links. That certainly helps us better to plan the
    dependencies.