I've noticed in our lucene app that subsequent identical searches are faster
than the first search. So if I search for "things you know" the first
response time will be 160ms, the second will be 23ms. Then if I search for
"something else" the first response time will be 133ms and the second will
be 3ms.

We don't use FileCache, CachingWrapperFilter or QueryFilter and it's not
just the very first query which is substantially slower it's the first
attempt with each unique query.

Can anyone tell me what is happening in SearchIndexer to cause repeated
searches to be faster?

thank you,
Annette

  • Yonik Seeley at Dec 17, 2008 at 6:23 pm

    I've noticed in our lucene app that subsequent identical searches are faster
    than the first search. So if I search for "things you know" the first
    response time will be 160ms, the second will be 23ms. Then if I search for
    "something else" the first response time will be 133ms and the second will
    be 3ms.
    The first search, and the first search per-field can cause some low
    level structures to be cached.
    There is also hotspot optimization that can make first queries slower
    than later queries (but not for too long).
    After that, most of that you are seeing will be due to operating
    system disk cache (i.e. outside Lucene).

    -Yonik