I am using Hibernate as my persistence layer and have recently found
Hibernate Search and Lucene as a possible solution to my full text search.
However, I am a little fuzzy on what exactly needs to be done in my
situation.

In a nutshell, I have a Business object that has multiple of attributes that
needs to be indexed (name, summary, products, services, etc)

I would like to provide functionality in my web app that provides a user a
single text field that would match Businesses against all the identified
attributes.

I am assuming there are more than one option...but what is the best approach
to accomplishing this scenario?

I am assuming that i need to create different terms for each indexed
attribute...correct? If so, do I need to create a BooleanQuery for each
term?

I am sure there is an example out there...but I haven't found one or have
misunderstood what I have seen so far. So if there is a something out
there, could someone direct me to it?

Thanks in advance,
- Doug

  • Stephane Nicoll at Dec 16, 2008 at 3:58 pm
    Consider the use of the ClassBridge in Hibernate Search. Very useful. It
    basically allows you to merge multiple fields of your hibernate entity into
    a single lucene field. Once this is done, you can query this single field
    from lucene without the need for BooleanQuery.

    HTH,
    Stéphane

[...]

    Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you
    suck" -- S.Yegge
  • Hardy Ferentschik at Dec 16, 2008 at 4:07 pm
    Hi,

    instead of the ClassBridge you can just annotate all the properties you
    want to index with
    @Field and build a BooleanQuery out of the input field. Indexing the
    properties into
    separate document fields is probably more extendable in the future when
    you for example
    only want to search on a subset of the properties.

    I recommend you read through the online documentation of Hibernate Search
    and you can also
    ask question at the Hibernate Search Forum -
    http://forum.hibernate.org/viewforum.php?f=9
    which is probably a more appropriate then this mailing list.

    --Hardy

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:57:44 +0100, Stephane Nicoll