I just need a little confirmation of my understanding here.

If i say that a field is to be stored, the entire thing is written to the
index. It might also be indexed in a tokenized fasion if i also specify
that.

What are the advantages to storing a field then?
So you can search for that field?
Just so you can retrieve that field's value when you get a hit on the
document via another field?

Also along thes lines, if i don't "store" a field, can I still do my search
based upon that field?

Search Discussions

  • Yonik Seeley at Nov 7, 2008 at 10:15 pm

    I just need a little confirmation of my understanding here.

    If i say that a field is to be stored, the entire thing is written to the
    index. It might also be indexed in a tokenized fasion if i also specify
    that. Right.
    What are the advantages to storing a field then?
    So you can search for that field?
    Only if it is indexed.... it has nothing to do with it being stored.
    Just so you can retrieve that field's value when you get a hit on the
    document via another field? Correct.
    Also along thes lines, if i don't "store" a field, can I still do my search
    based upon that field?
    Yes.

    -Yonik