hi,

I am fairly new to Lucene and is currently going over its source code. I had
read through the code for a few times, mapping it and all but I seems to be
facing a problem. I could go all the way to the calculation of score for
each result obtain, but strangely I did not managed to locate the part where
Lucene open the index and check for the matching term.

What I mean is that, I want to check on how Lucene actually open the index
and perform the search. I went through all the methods in IndexReader,
IndexSearcher and some other related class but still fail to locate the
method responsible.

Could anyone help me with this? Thanks

  • Grant Ingersoll at Jun 26, 2008 at 12:33 pm
    The index is opened via the IndexReader and then it is a variety of
    places that factor into scoring, such as the Query, Weight and Scorer
    classes. Probably the easiest place to start is the TermQuery and
    TermScorer.

    You might also have a read through http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/scoring.html

    You might also try stepping through the path of a simple TermQuery via
    a debugger as it enters the searcher and then expand to try
    BooleanQuery and some of the other queries.

    Cheers,
    Grant
    I am fairly new to Lucene and is currently going over its source
    code. I had
    read through the code for a few times, mapping it and all but I
    seems to be
    facing a problem. I could go all the way to the calculation of score
    for
    each result obtain, but strangely I did not managed to locate the
    part where
    Lucene open the index and check for the matching term.

    What I mean is that, I want to check on how Lucene actually open the
    and perform the search. I went through all the methods in IndexReader,
    IndexSearcher and some other related class but still fail to locate
    the
    method responsible.

    Could anyone help me with this? Thanks
    Grant Ingersoll
    http://www.lucidimagination.com

    Lucene Helpful Hints:

  • Alex Cheng at Jun 26, 2008 at 3:40 pm
    the debugger that came with eclipse is pretty good for this purpose.
    You can create a small project and then attach Lucene source for the
    purpose of debugging.

  • Blazingwolf7 at Jun 27, 2008 at 12:53 am
    Thanks for the reply. I had try to start a new project already. Like I had
    mention, I actually go through the code from the start of the application
    and till the end where the scoring is done.

    But unfortunately, I still fail to locate the part where Lucene open the
    index to perform the search. Anyone has any idea on how to do this?
  • Lutan at Jul 1, 2008 at 6:34 am
    I have same questions puzzled me.
    Could anyone explain which class been called in the searching steps ?
    Thanks!
    Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:24:08 -0700> From: blazingwolf7@gmail.com> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org> Subject: How Lucene Search> > > hi, > > I am fairly new to Lucene and is currently going over its source code. I had> read through the code for a few times, mapping it and all but I seems to be> facing a problem. I could go all the way to the calculation of score for> each result obtain, but strangely I did not managed to locate the part where> Lucene open the index and check for the matching term.> > What I mean is that, I want to check on how Lucene actually open the index> and perform the search. I went through all the methods in IndexReader,> IndexSearcher and some other related class but still fail to locate the> method responsible.> > Could anyone help me with this? Thanks > -- > View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/How-Lucene-Search-tp18127970p18127970.html> Sent from the Lucene - Java Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.> > > --------------------