Hi All,

I am using Lucene for creating indexes. There is one field as "email" which
stored the email id.
I have few queries regarding searching:
1. I want to search for all the records having domain as "gmail.com" . So,
is there a way by which I can do a partial search on "email" field such that
I get the records matching only the domain name.
I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(

2. If I just want to search for the records which are not matching email as
"abc@xyz.com"
How can I search for it. Here, MUST_NOT cannot be used alone. Is there a way
out?

Please help.

Thanks,
Aditi

Search Discussions

  • Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah at Jun 23, 2008 at 6:25 am
    One way of doing it is while parsing email if it has .gmail.com add it to different field also.
    Warm Regards,
    Allahbaksh
    Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
    Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
    Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
    Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
    *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
    Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
    http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

    I am using Lucene for creating indexes. There is one field as "email" which
    stored the email id.
    I have few queries regarding searching:
    1. I want to search for all the records having domain as "gmail.com" . So,
    is there a way by which I can do a partial search on "email" field such that
    I get the records matching only the domain name.
    I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(

    2. If I just want to search for the records which are not matching email as
    "abc@xyz.com"
    How can I search for it. Here, MUST_NOT cannot be used alone. Is there a way
    out?

    Please help.

    Thanks,
    Aditi

    Infosys e-mail system.

  • Aditi Goyal at Jun 23, 2008 at 6:31 am
    Thanks Allahbaksh, But this was just an example. I want to search for lot
    more fields like this.

[...]

    This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended
    solely
    for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
    please
    notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you
    are not
    to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
    person and
    any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has
    taken
    every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for
    any damage
    you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry
    out your
    own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves
    the
    right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
    this e-mail
    Infosys e-mail system.

  • Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah at Jun 23, 2008 at 6:33 am
    Usually if you negate the keyword then that document will be skipped. So what else you want to search. Design of fields is very important.
    Warm Regards,
    Allahbaksh

    http://setlabs/slim/
[...]

  • Daniel Noll at Jun 23, 2008 at 6:32 am

    I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(
    Wrong:

    http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean)

    Daniel

  • Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah at Jun 23, 2008 at 6:34 am
    Hi Daniel,
    You are right earlier the wild card character were not supported but now they are supported.
    Regards,
    Allahbaksh

    Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
    Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
    Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
    Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
    *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
    Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
    http://setlabs/slim/
    http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

    I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(
    Wrong:

    http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean)

    Daniel

    Infosys e-mail system.

  • Aditi Goyal at Jun 23, 2008 at 6:37 am
    Thanks a lot Daniel, I will try this option. :)
    Is there a way to search for not equal to query alone?
    I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(
    Wrong:

    http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean)<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard%28boolean%29>

    Daniel

  • Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah at Jun 23, 2008 at 7:40 am
    Hi Aditi,
    You can search using NOT operator. You can go through below link for Query details http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html
    Warm Regards,
    Allahbaksh

    Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
    Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
    Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
    Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
    *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
    Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
    http://setlabs/slim/
    http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

    Thanks a lot Daniel, I will try this option. :)
    Is there a way to search for not equal to query alone?
    I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(
    Wrong:

    http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean)<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard%28boolean%29>

    Daniel

    Infosys e-mail system.

  • Aditi Goyal at Jun 23, 2008 at 7:54 am
    Thank you Allahbaksh for taking so much pains. The link says it cannot be
    used alone.

    Note: The NOT operator cannot be used with just one term. For example, the
    following search will return no results:

    NOT "jakarta apache"

    <
[...]

  • Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah at Jun 23, 2008 at 7:55 am
    Yes Aditi You can use it alone.
    Warm regards,
    Allahbaksh

[...]

  • Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah at Jun 23, 2008 at 8:04 am
    Hi Aditi,
    Sorry for typo. You cannot edit it alone.
    Warm Regards,
    Allahbaksh

[...]

  • Aditi Goyal at Jun 23, 2008 at 8:09 am
    Oh. For one moment I was elated to hear the news. :(
    Is there any way out?

[...]

  • Aditi Goyal at Jun 23, 2008 at 8:16 am
    I am using MultiFieldQueryParser. Can I use setAllowLeadingWildCard with
    MultiFieldQueryParser?I am doing the following:

    parser = lucene.MultiFieldQueryParser(fields, analyzer )
    parser.setAllowLeadingWildcard(True)
    query = parser.parse(command)

    And I am getting this error:

    ERROR (<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, TypeError("descriptor 'parse'
    requires a 'QueryParser' object but received a 'str'",), <traceback object
    at 0x02DFA800>)

    Thanks a lot

[...]

  • Chris Hostetter at Jun 25, 2008 at 12:01 am
    :
    : parser = lucene.MultiFieldQueryParser(fields, analyzer )
    : parser.setAllowLeadingWildcard(True)
    : query = parser.parse(command)
    :
    : And I am getting this error:
    :
    : ERROR (<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, TypeError("descriptor 'parse'
    : requires a 'QueryParser' object but received a 'str'",), <traceback object
    : at 0x02DFA800>)

    the sample code you posted doesn't look like java, and this is not an
    error message you would get form java, so i'm guessing you are using a
    port (.Net maybe?) ... the error message seems langauge specific (related
    to the way the "parse" method is dispatched on a "QueryParser" object) so
    you should consult the user communityfor the port you are using.

    -Hoss

  • Daniel Noll at Jun 24, 2008 at 1:47 am