Hi, I am maintaing a website's search engine, and using lucene.
my job is to give boost to a particular set of pages, like pages about the
Products of the company, Pages giving description of the company, about
technology used etc etc.....
How can i start that, I mean i just joined this job and want to perform
good.
Please let me know about it, if you need any particular information, let me
know...

thanks
Sumit

  • Erick Erickson at Jun 12, 2008 at 7:00 pm
    From the Hossman:
    '...Index time field boosts are a way to express things like "this documents
    title is worth twice as much as the title of most documents". Query time
    boosts are a way to express "I care about matches on this clause of my query
    twice as much as I do about matches to other clauses of my query.'

    So, I think you want to think about index time boosts.....

    Best
    Erick
    Hi, I am maintaing a website's search engine, and using lucene.
    my job is to give boost to a particular set of pages, like pages about the
    Products of the company, Pages giving description of the company, about
    technology used etc etc.....
    How can i start that, I mean i just joined this job and want to perform
    good.
    Please let me know about it, if you need any particular information, let me
    know...

    thanks
    Sumit
  • Sumittyagi at Jun 12, 2008 at 7:06 pm
    which one do you think is faster, boosting at search time or boosting at
    index time...
    thanks for the reply..

    Erick Erickson wrote:
    From the Hossman:

[...]

  • Erick Erickson at Jun 13, 2008 at 1:31 pm
    You missed the point. They have different intents, so speed is irrelevant.
    From your original post:
    <<<and using lucene. my job is to give boost to a particular
    set of pages>>>

    In which case you want to do index-time boosting.

    So don't do anything until you understand the difference <G>...

    Best
    Erick
    which one do you think is faster, boosting at search time or boosting at
    index time...
    thanks for the reply..

    From the Hossman: