A number of people have asked about query benchmarks.

I have posted benchmarks for concurrent query requests for Lucene
2.3.1 on my blog, where I look at 1 - 4096 concurrent requests:
http://zzzoot.blogspot.com/2008/06/simultaneous-threaded-query-lucene.html

I hope you find this useful.

thanks,

Glen

--

-

  • Otis Gospodnetic at Jun 10, 2008 at 12:52 am
    Hi Glen,

    Thanks for sharing. Does your benchmarking tool build on top of contrib/benchmark? (not sure if that one lets you specify the number of concurrent threads -- if it does not, perhaps this is an opportunity to add this functionality).

    I couldn't find info about the index format (compound or not) you used. It would be good to see the comparison with high number of threads for the 2 index formats. It would also be good to see the numbers when the index has no deletion and when it has some percentage of docs deleted.

    Finally, if you end up extending contrib/benchmark, I think just having the ability to pump the results of that into a gnuplot script would be nice to have. I've written a standalone benchmarking tool that did pretty much what yours seems to do, but I wrote it for Technorati, so I can't release it. :(

    Otis

    A number of people have asked about query benchmarks.

    I have posted benchmarks for concurrent query requests for Lucene
    2.3.1 on my blog, where I look at 1 - 4096 concurrent requests:
    http://zzzoot.blogspot.com/2008/06/simultaneous-threaded-query-lucene.html

    I hope you find this useful.

    thanks,

    Glen

    --

    -

  • Doron Cohen at Jun 10, 2008 at 6:14 am

    Thanks for sharing. Does your benchmarking tool build on top of
    contrib/benchmark? (not sure if that one lets you specify the number of
    concurrent threads -- if it does not, perhaps this is an opportunity to add
    this functionality).

    contrib/benchmark's syntax for parallel-execution spawns parallel threads.
    I.e. something like
    [ Search ] : 20
    would run 20 queries in parallel, and this
    [ Search ] : 20000 : 5
    would run 20,000 queries in parallel, but starting up to 5 new threads per
    second.
    One more example:
    [
    { SearchTrav(20) > : 300
    ] : 500
    Would spawn 500 threads each running 300 queries, where query 20 results are
    traversed.
    It allows various parallel settings, though not sure it covers exactly what
    Glen did.

    I couldn't find info about the index format (compound or not) you used. It
    would be good to see the comparison with high number of threads for the 2
    index formats. It would also be good to see the numbers when the index has
    no deletion and when it has some percentage of docs deleted.

    Finally, if you end up extending contrib/benchmark, I think just having the
    ability to pump the results of that into a gnuplot script would be nice to
    have.

    Yes this would be great!