Is it possible to sort on a tokenized field? For example, I break
email address into pieces, i.e.

michael.prichard@email.com

becomes

michael.prichard@email.com
michael.prichard
michael
prichard
email.com
email

so when sorting on this field I get some strange results. Do I need
to create another field just for sorting? Or are there other ways to
do it?

Thanks!
Michael

  • Michael Prichard at Jan 8, 2008 at 8:27 pm
    ok... i should read the manual more often.

    i went ahead and just added untokenized, unstored sort fields....

    question, if I put a field in to sort of but say I have not indexed
    any as of yet...will the Sort fail? For example, say I have a BCC
    field and nothing has been indexed with that yet....I run a sort on
    BCC.....I think it fails now...anyway around that?
    Is it possible to sort on a tokenized field? For example, I break
    email address into pieces, i.e.

    michael.prichard@email.com

    becomes

    michael.prichard@email.com
    michael.prichard
    michael
    prichard
    email.com
    email

    so when sorting on this field I get some strange results. Do I
    need to create another field just for sorting? Or are there other
    ways to do it?

    Thanks!
    Michael

  • Ryan McKinley at Jan 8, 2008 at 9:18 pm
    what do you mean by "fail"? -- there is the sortMissingLast attribute

    Michael Prichard wrote:
[...]

  • Michael Prichard at Jan 8, 2008 at 9:22 pm
    Meaning that it says "field is not indexed". Where is
    sortMissingLastAttribute?

    thanks.

    Michael Prichard wrote:
[...]

    If you change your analyzer, it does not change the tokens that are
    already in the index -- you will need to re-index for any changes to
    take effect.

    ryan

    Michael Prichard wrote:
[...]

  • Doron Cohen at Jan 8, 2008 at 9:37 pm
    Hi Michael, I think you mean the exception thrown when you
    search and sort with a field that was not yet indexed:

    RuntimeException: field "BBC" does not appear to be indexed

    I think the current behavior is correct, otherwise an application
    might (by a bug) attempt to sort by a wrong field, that not only
    does not exist yet but will never exist. To prevent hidden bugs
    cases like this it is important to throw an exception in this case.
    Do you agree?

    Michael Prichard wrote:
[...]

  • Michael Prichard at Jan 8, 2008 at 9:42 pm
    yes, no worries.

    i just check in advance what fields are available and build the Sort
    object accordingly. Eventually BCC would be there...but not
    necessary so at first.

    Anyway, got it to work! Thanks for your help.

    All the best,
    Michael