I did some searching on the lucene site and wiki, but didn't quite find
what I was looking for in regards to a basic approach to how and when to
reload index data. I have a long running process that will be
continually indexing and concurrently searching the same index and I'm
looking for a basic approach to reloading the data for the searcher.
Perhaps I should verify that the data does need to be reloaded. Does a
manual reload of a changing index need to be performed for a searcher?

I'd appreciate any links to documents, source or some quick pseudo code.

Thanks.

-Nathan

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.

  • Erick Erickson at Dec 6, 2007 at 6:10 pm
    If by reload you mean closing and opening the reader, then yes. You need
    to do this in order to see the changes since the *last* time you opened
    the reader.

    Think of it as the reader taking a snapshot of the index and using that
    for its lifetime.

    Be aware that opening a reader (and running the first searches) is an
    expensive operation and shouldn't be done unnecessarily. I guess it
    all depends upon your requirements for how soon changes are available
    for search.

    As for guidelines, to quote the famous wise ones.... it depends. The
    real question is how quickly your users require seeing recent changes.

    One technique for handling these updates is to periodically open a new
    reader
    *without* closing the old one. Fire a few warm-up queries at the new
    searcher,
    then close the old one and start using the new one. There are some
    coordination issues here..... Also be aware that this will chew up some
    disk space....

    Hope this helps
    Erick
[...]

  • Beyer,Nathan at Dec 6, 2007 at 7:47 pm
    That does help, thank you.

    Does closing a reader, writer or searcher close the underlying
    Directory? I've been operating under the assumption that it does not and
    that I should be sharing the Directory instance as much as possible.

    -Nathan