Hello,

I need to implement a search tool, and I would like to know if Lucene could
be used for my particular problem. Let's take an example:

A hotel company has several hundreds of hotels around the world. for each
hotel there are hundreds of rooms, whose price are constantly changing. The
idea is to create a multi-criteria search tool to find a room. The pieces of
information to store are all the same, they are something like: (room_size,
number_of_stars, city, date_of_arrival, number_of_beds, price...)
Let's says there are around 15 caracteristics, and about 5 millions pieces
of information. The goal is to obtain a tool that:

- handles multi-criteria search
- can be updated all the time
- answers quickly

According to what I read about Lucène, this is a powerfull tool for
combining different criteria, and would be great for enriching the
information by creating more complex criteria. But my questions are:

- Is Lucene performant for very dynamic data? There would be dozens to
hundreds of updates per second

- Is Lucene performant for this kind of search (it is not the typical
text-search, date-range and price-range searches will occur a lot)

- Would Lucene be more performant than a standard database indexing
solution?

Thanks for your help,

Emilien Beucler

  • Kurt Haegeman at Oct 15, 2007 at 10:44 am

    emilien beucler wrote:
    Hello,

    I need to implement a search tool, and I would like to know if Lucene
    could be used for my particular problem. Let's take an example:

    A hotel company has several hundreds of hotels around the world. for
    each hotel there are hundreds of rooms, whose price are constantly
    changing. The idea is to create a multi-criteria search tool to find a
    room. The pieces of information to store are all the same, they are
    something like: (room_size, number_of_stars, city, date_of_arrival,
    number_of_beds, price...)
    Let's says there are around 15 caracteristics, and about 5 millions
    pieces of information. The goal is to obtain a tool that:

    None of the criteria you mention justifies the use of a full-text search
    solution. If I were you (but I'm not), I'd stick to a relational
    database for this project. Even if there's a small field or two with
    searchable text data, the database itself could cope with this (Oracle
    Text, MySQL full-text search etc...).

    My 2 cents,
    Kurt.

  • Emilien beucler at Oct 15, 2007 at 11:51 am
    Thank you for this quick answer. Of course a relational database is the most
    immediate answer, but there are two problems:

    - I am not sure that performances would be great when potentially each
    criteria can be used/combined for searches. I am not an expert of databases
    but I guess you have to choose the indexes you will want to use, so a few
    kinds of searches will be performant, others will not, right? What seemed
    interesting in Lucène is that it is said to be performant for all kinds of
    searches.

    - With this model I cannot add criteria "on the fly". Let's say I want a new
    criterion: "olympic games Beijing 2008" That will apply to some of the
    hotels, for a certain time range. With Lucène I guess I could enrich the
    documents with the new criterion before adding them to the index. With a
    database, I can only reserve a fixed number of columns for that, or have
    more complex queries (without indexing). Do you see what I mean?

    Thanks again,

    Emilien