HI,

My requirement is to search multiple databases which are present on
different machines all of which are indexed using lucene
Can it be done using the web interface of lucene ?
If yes what is the procedure for that and what other tools are requried?

To make it more clear, i'm giving an example

Say, i have two machines having IP address x.x.x.10 and x.x.x.11
and i want a client which can search both of them and retrieve all the
records matching the keyword
Can this be done?

I am using Tomcat as server with lucene-2.1.0 as the searching application
All ideas are welcomed...

Thanks and Regards,
Rajat Mahajan.

Search Discussions

  • Andreas Guther at Jun 17, 2007 at 4:16 pm
    Rajat,

    I don't know about the Web Interface you are mentioning but the task can be
    done with a little bit coding from your side.

    I would suggest indexing each database in its own index which allows to keep
    the access easily controlled. To find matches you will need to use a Multi
    Searcher. All you will need is to a have a policy in place that controls
    who can search in which database related index.

    You could also have all databases in one index and then have one keyword
    field holding the database address and then add this field to the given
    query. Both will work. I guess this is a matter of size and your
    preferences.

    Andreas

    My requirement is to search multiple databases which are present on
    different machines all of which are indexed using lucene
    Can it be done using the web interface of lucene ?
    If yes what is the procedure for that and what other tools are requried?

    To make it more clear, i'm giving an example

    Say, i have two machines having IP address x.x.x.10 and x.x.x.11
    and i want a client which can search both of them and retrieve all the
    records matching the keyword
    Can this be done?

    I am using Tomcat as server with lucene-2.1.0 as the searching application
    All ideas are welcomed...

    Thanks and Regards,
    Rajat Mahajan.
  • Ard Schrijvers at Jun 18, 2007 at 9:03 am
    Hello Rajat,

    this sounds to me like something very suitable for Solr,

    Regards Ard

[...]

  • Rajat mahajan at Jun 18, 2007 at 9:47 am
    @Ard Schrijvers

    What is this Solr
    i didnt get you. will you please explain it.??
  • Ard Schrijvers at Jun 18, 2007 at 10:12 am
    A search server based on lucene which is very easy to use and implement. I think you can use it to achieve what you want,

    Regards
    @Ard Schrijvers

    What is this Solr
    i didnt get you. will you please explain it.??
  • Rajat mahajan at Jun 18, 2007 at 10:23 am
    Hi,
    At presently I am using NUTCH. I'll try Solr once this is done
    and will get back to you

    anyways thanks a lot.

    Bye,
    Rajat Mahajan