We have an index with fields than can be multiple (i.e. a document has
two fields called “pets” that contain “dog” and “cat”).

The problem comes when we calculate the score:

If a BooleanQuery is created as the addition of two TermQuery

TermQuery1 “pets:dog”

TermQuery2 “pets:cat”

BooleanQuery “(pets:dog pets:cat)” (boost = 3)

The score for this BooleanQuery is double (around 6) when the compared
document has the field “pets” with these two values, but we want that
the score is only 3, although there is more than one coincidence.

SUMMARY: we want that a BooleanQuery is scored like a whole Query.

Is there some way to do this?

  • Chris Hostetter at Apr 27, 2007 at 11:30 pm
    : If a BooleanQuery is created as the addition of two TermQuery
    : The score for this BooleanQuery is double (around 6) when the compared
    : document has the field ?pets? with these two values, but we want that
    : the score is only 3, although there is more than one coincidence.
    : Is there some way to do this?

    Yes, you'll want to take a look at the documentation on scoring and
    Similarity...

    http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/scoring.html
    http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/package-summary.html#changingSimilarity

    -Hoss