Do I have to keep something in mind to do searching on large indices?
I actually have an index with a size of 1.8gb. I have indexed 1.5
million items from Amazon.
How much memory do I have to give to the jvm?
As a sidenote I have to tell you that I optimized the index so it's one
segment file.
Do I need to have 1.8gb memory available for the jvm?

regards,
-Dennis

  • Ian Lea at Mar 14, 2007 at 2:15 pm
    No, you don't need 1.8Gb of memory. Start with default and raise if
    you need to?
    Or jump straight in at about 512Mb.

    --
    Ian.

    Do I have to keep something in mind to do searching on large indices?
    I actually have an index with a size of 1.8gb. I have indexed 1.5
    million items from Amazon.
    How much memory do I have to give to the jvm?
    As a sidenote I have to tell you that I optimized the index so it's one
    segment file.
    Do I need to have 1.8gb memory available for the jvm?

    regards,
    -Dennis

  • Dennis Berger at Mar 14, 2007 at 2:37 pm

    Ian Lea schrieb:
    No, you don't need 1.8Gb of memory. Start with default and raise if
    you need to?
    how do I know when I need it?
    Or jump straight in at about 512Mb.

    --
    Ian.

    Do I have to keep something in mind to do searching on large indices?
    I actually have an index with a size of 1.8gb. I have indexed 1.5
    million items from Amazon.
    How much memory do I have to give to the jvm?
    As a sidenote I have to tell you that I optimized the index so it's one
    segment file.
    Do I need to have 1.8gb memory available for the jvm?

    regards,
    -Dennis

    Dennis Berger
    BSDSystems
    Eduardstrasse 43b
    20257 Hamburg

    Phone: +49 (0)40 54 00 18 17
    Mobile: +49 (0) 179 123 15 09
    E-Mail: db@bsdsystems.de

  • Ian Lea at Mar 14, 2007 at 2:42 pm
    When your app gets a java.lang.OutOfMemory exception.

    --
    Ian.

    No, you don't need 1.8Gb of memory. Start with default and raise if
    you need to?
    how do I know when I need it?
    Or jump straight in at about 512Mb.

    --
    Ian.

    Do I have to keep something in mind to do searching on large indices?
    I actually have an index with a size of 1.8gb. I have indexed 1.5
    million items from Amazon.
    How much memory do I have to give to the jvm?
    As a sidenote I have to tell you that I optimized the index so it's one
    segment file.
    Do I need to have 1.8gb memory available for the jvm?

    regards,
    -Dennis
  • Tim Patton at Mar 14, 2007 at 3:33 pm
    I'm searching a 20GB index and my searching JVM is allocated 1Gig.
    However, my indexing app only had 384mb availible to it, which means you
    can get away with far less. I believe certain index tables will need to
    be swapped in and out of memory though so it may not search as quickly.

    With a 1.8gig index you could try the jvm default (64megs) and see how
    it works.

    Tim