can someone explain to me the norm issue that is stored in each field at index time for scoring, how in impacts the index size, for lucene 1.4.3 is it active by default. and the penalty of disabling it

much much thanks in advance

---------------------------------

  • Doron Cohen at Feb 27, 2007 at 9:56 pm
    * Indexing size cost - 1 byte per field per doc

    * Search time memory cost - 1 byte per field per doc

    * Usage - document score normalization by the doc field
    length, and a place to hold doc/field indexing time
    boosts, also applied during scoring. (more info in
    the Scoring documentation.)

    * Only maintained for indexed fields.

    * For fields known to be of ~constant length, or fields used just
    for filtering or date search, it makes sense to omit norms. Almost
    for sure there are more cases that I just don't think of now,
    but you get the idea.