Does anybody have any experience with setting up a Lucene RAMDirectory index
for replication across multiple WebSphere servers and taking advantage of
WebSphere's built-in Object Cache? We are currently re-building/refreshing
from the source the entire RAMDirectory index on each WebSphere server every
few minutes to keep the data in sync, but I would like to utilize the
built-in cluster replication features of WebSphere somehow if possible.
This is what I was thinking... If I set up an Object Cache instance, there
would only be one item in the cache, right? -- the entire RAMDirectory
index. So, everytime there was an update, I'd pull the index out of the
cache, update the changed documents, and stick the index back into cache.
Of course, this is likely to happen every few seconds (at least during peak
usage). Currently, when we do something like such...

IndexModifier indexModifier = new IndexModifier(activeIdx, myAnalyzer,
false); //don't ovewrite; use existing
-- add/delete documents here
indexModifier.optimize();
indexModifier.close();

And the activeIdx object is a static private class variable. So, I'm
thinking the only real difference would be to just get the activieIdx object
out of the cache instead of making it a class variable. ???

Looking for some guidance.

Thanks,

Philip

  • Otis Gospodnetic at Feb 10, 2007 at 2:25 pm
    Not sure about the WebSpehere Object Cache, but Terracota has something like what you are describing:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=terracota%20lucene

    Otis