United Rentals
Consider it done.™
800-UR-RENTS
unitedrentals.com

Search Discussions

  • Michael McCandless at Sep 26, 2006 at 1:38 pm

    Van Nguyen wrote:

    I only get this error when using the server version of jvm.dll with my
    JBoss app server… but when I use the client version of jvm.dll, the same
    index builds just fine.
    This is an odd error. Which OS are you running on? And, what kind of
    filesystem is the index directory on?

    It's surprising that client vs server JRE causes this.

    Is the exception easily reproduced or is it intermittent?

    Mike

  • Van Nguyen at Sep 26, 2006 at 4:31 pm
    United Rentals
    Consider it done.™
    800-UR-RENTS
    unitedrentals.com
  • Michael McCandless at Sep 27, 2006 at 10:24 pm

    Van Nguyen wrote:
    I'm running this on Windows 2003 server (NTFS). The Java VM version is
    1.5.0_06. This exception is not consistent, but it is not intermittent
    either. It does not throw it at any particular point while rebuilding
    the index, but it will throw this exception at some point (it could be
    1/3 way through... or it could be 95% done).

    At first... I thought I might have a bad sector somewhere on my hard
    drive, so I partitioned a hard drive (known to be good) to be only
    500mb... knowing this particular index is only 250mb. Using the server
    version of the jvm.dll will cause this error somewhere during program.
    Using the client version, it builds w/o any errors.
    I am at a loss on this one.

    That function that writes the segments file is quite simple -- it opens
    a "segments.new", writes a smallish number of bytes, then closes it,
    then renames it to "segments". Your exception happens in the close (in
    a finally clause). I don't get why server version of the JRE would do
    this but the client version would not.

    Do you have any interesting customizations in how you are using Lucene?

    Mike

  • Michael McCandless at Nov 30, 2006 at 12:12 am

    Michael McCandless wrote:
    Van Nguyen wrote:
[...]

    Hi,

    It's been 2 months since this thread, but, in a separate JIRA issue:

    We see an IOException very similar to the one at the start of this
    thread. It's due to a bug in Lucene (and we believe also a bug in the
    JVM -- but this is sort of speculation) where Lucene is closing an
    already closed RandomAccessFile in a finalize() method.

    Anyway, Van, if you are still here then you may want to test the patch
    on that issue above (just committed to the trunk version of Lucene) to
    see if it fixes your issue!

    Mike