Från: Erik Hatcher
Skickat: sö 2006-05-21 17:45
Till: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Ämne: Re: Date first best practises

On May 21, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Marcus Falck wrote:
I will use Lucene to index 200 million documents (doc size 2kb ->
20 kb).
With the following requirements:
IndexSearcher needs to be created atleast every 5 minute.
The ranking/scoring/sorting will need to reply the hits ordered by
date desc.

Will the sorting be good enough on a machine with 4GB of RAM? Since
the cache will be destroyed every time I open a new IndexSercher i
need to know how long it will take to rebuild it (the index is
stored on a SAN).
My hunch is that sorting will be fine, but you'll want to warm up the
caches before putting a new IndexSearcher into production use. Solr
does this by running a configurable set of queries against an index
before swapping out the old IndexSearcher with a new warmed up one.
Or do I have to change the scoring so I wont need to access the
date field?

If i will have to change the scoring does anybody have any tips on
where to begin?
Solr's FunctionQuery (isn't it time we move this to the core of
Lucene?! :) might be able to help you out in this situation, but it
sounds like sorting is what you want to use, not scoring tweaks.

Erik

  • Chris Hostetter at May 21, 2006 at 6:07 pm
    : If I use a sort on the datefield and perform a query (with that sort)
    : will it always rebuild the whole cache or just the cache for the actual
    : hits?

    the FieldCache is built for all documents so that it's completleyte
    reusable for any search that sorts on that field -- as long as you keep
    your IndexSearcher open.

    -Hoss