I'm about to write a little command-line Lucene search benchmark tool. I'm interested in benchmarking search performance and the ability to specify concurrency level (# of parallel search threads) and response timing, so I can calculate min, max, average, and mean times. Something like 'ab' (Apache Benchmark) tool, but for Lucene.

Has anyone already written something like this?

Thanks,
Otis

  • Sunil Kumar PK at Apr 27, 2006 at 5:13 am
    Hi,

    I have added some code in the Lucene 1.9 - source code for Lucene
    RemoteParallelMultisearcher performance benchmark.

    I have recorded the time to execute the 'searchables[i].docFreq(term)' (in
    MultiSearcher.java) method in both client and server, and for '
    searchable.search' (in ParallelMultiSearcher.java) method also.i have also
    recorded the total time taken to get hits object.

    I have tested different complex boolean queries and taken the average time
    for each queries. But while doing this i am stucked with some doubts.
    Please find my doubts listed below.

    What I have understood from Lucene Remote Parallel Multi Searcher Search
    Procedure is first compute the weight for the Query in each Index
    sequentially (one by one, eg: - calculate "query weight" of index1 first and
    then index2) and then perform searching of each index one by one and merge
    the results.

    I want to know is there any possibility or method to merge the weight
    calculation of index 1 and its search in a single RPC instead of doing the
    both function in separate steps.

    Another query I have to clear is In RemoteParallelMultiSearcher the method
    "docFreq (Term term)" is not parallelized, why it is not
    parallelized, and please specify any reason for that.

    Regards

    Sunil

    I'm about to write a little command-line Lucene search benchmark
    tool. I'm interested in benchmarking search performance and the ability to
    specify concurrency level (# of parallel search threads) and response
    timing, so I can calculate min, max, average, and mean times. Something
    like 'ab' (Apache Benchmark) tool, but for Lucene.

    Has anyone already written something like this?

    Thanks,
    Otis

  • Doug Cutting at Apr 27, 2006 at 9:55 pm

    Sunil Kumar PK wrote:
    I want to know is there any possibility or method to merge the weight
    calculation of index 1 and its search in a single RPC instead of doing the
    both function in separate steps.
    To score correctly, weights from all indexes must be created before any
    can be searched. This is to compute a global IDF used in all searches.

    Doug

  • Marvin Humphrey at May 1, 2006 at 12:28 am