I've got a situation where I'm searching over a number of different
repositories, each containing a different set of documents. I'd like
to run searches over, say, 4 different indices, then combine the
results outside of Java to present to the user. Is there any way of
normalizing search scores over multiple searches over different
indices?

Bill

  • Otis Gospodnetic at Apr 5, 2005 at 1:00 am
    I think Chuck and friends have provided just such a patch, but we
    haven't applied it yet.... :(

    Otis

    --- Bill Janssen wrote:
    I've got a situation where I'm searching over a number of different
    repositories, each containing a different set of documents. I'd like
    to run searches over, say, 4 different indices, then combine the
    results outside of Java to present to the user. Is there any way of
    normalizing search scores over multiple searches over different
    indices?

    Bill

    to be focussing on MultiSearcher approaches, where I'm looking for a
    way (I think) to adjust each individual index so that it will give
    scores similar to the others. I don't quite see how to merge the
    results outside of Java without some such calibration.

    Bill

    --- Bill Janssen wrote:
    I've got a situation where I'm searching over a number of different
    repositories, each containing a different set of documents. I'd like
    to run searches over, say, 4 different indices, then combine the
    results outside of Java to present to the user. Is there any way of
    normalizing search scores over multiple searches over different
    indices?

    Bill

    to be focussing on MultiSearcher approaches, where I'm looking for a
    way (I think) to adjust each individual index so that it will give
    scores similar to the others. I don't quite see how to merge the
    results outside of Java without some such calibration.
    There is also a long thread on this that pre-dates Wolf's solution for
    the MultiSearcher's. I've never created the more general patch to make
    scores across separate indices normalizable. In conversations with
    Doug, I concluded the best approach is to generalize the notion of a
    search score into a score object, thereby allowing multiple score facets
    (e.g., relevance as defined now, percent of query terms matched, etc.).
    The original idea was to use the percent of boost-weighted query terms
    matched of the highest result as the top normalized score (which fully
    defines the normalization).

    Sorry it's not there...

    Chuck