I'm new to Lucene and want to know, whether Lucene has the capability of
displaying the search results based the Users Rights.

For Example:

There are suppose some resources, like :

Resource 1
Resource 2
Resource 3
Resource 4

And there are say 2 users with

User 1 having access to Resource 1, Resource 2 and Resource 4; and User
2 having access to Resource 1 and Resource 3

So when User 1 searches the database, then he should get results from
Resource 1, 2 and 4, but

When User 2 searches the databse, then he should get results from
Resource 1 and 3.

Regards
Atul Verma

Search Discussions

  • PA at Feb 1, 2005 at 3:05 pm

    I'm new to Lucene and want to know, whether Lucene has the capability
    of
    displaying the search results based the Users Rights.
    Not by itself. But you can make it so.

    Cheers

    --
    PA, Onnay Equitursay
    http://alt.textdrive.com/

  • Verma Atul (extern) at Feb 1, 2005 at 3:07 pm
    Thanks for the help. This means that the User management has to be done
    over Lucene.

    I'm new to Lucene and want to know, whether Lucene has the capability
    of
    displaying the search results based the Users Rights.
    Not by itself. But you can make it so.

    Cheers

    --
    PA, Onnay Equitursay
    http://alt.textdrive.com/

  • PA at Feb 1, 2005 at 3:15 pm

    Thanks for the help. This means that the User management has to be done
    over Lucene.
    Your choice. But in a nutshell, yes.

    Cheers

    --
    PA, Onnay Equitursay
    http://alt.textdrive.com/

  • Erik Hatcher at Feb 1, 2005 at 3:19 pm

    I'm new to Lucene and want to know, whether Lucene has the capability
    of
    displaying the search results based the Users Rights.

    For Example:

    There are suppose some resources, like :

    Resource 1
    Resource 2
    Resource 3
    Resource 4

    And there are say 2 users with

    User 1 having access to Resource 1, Resource 2 and Resource 4; and User
    2 having access to Resource 1 and Resource 3

    So when User 1 searches the database, then he should get results from
    Resource 1, 2 and 4, but

    When User 2 searches the databse, then he should get results from
    Resource 1 and 3.
    Lucene in Action has a SecurityFilterTest example (grab the source code
    distribution). You can see a glimpse of this here:

    http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=security

    So yes, its possible to index a username or roles alongside each
    document and apply that criteria to any search a user makes such that a
    user only gets documents allowed. How complex this gets depends on how
    you need the permissions to work - the LIA example is rudimentary and
    simply associates an "owner" with each document and users are only
    allowed to see the documents they own.

    Erik

  • Chandrashekhar at Feb 2, 2005 at 5:23 am
    Hi,
    If you r working on some CMS or similar app and want to have user rights
    module then you can use metadata for rights information and add this
    metadata into index information then you can search on this metadata.

    With Regards,
    Chandrashekhar V Deshmukh