I am having two problems with my client's lucene indexes.

One, we are getting a FileNotFound exception (too many open files). THis
would seem to indicate that I need to increase the number of open files on
our Suse 9.0 Pro box. I have our sys admin working on this problem for me.

Two, because of this error and subsequent restarting of the box, we seem to
have lost an index segment or two. My client's tape backups do not contain
the segments we know about.

I am concerned about the missing index segments as they seem to be
preventing any further update of the index. Does anyone have any
suggestions as to how to fix this besides a full re-index of the problem

I was wondering if maybe a merge of the index might solve the problem? I
could move our nightly merge of the index files to sooner, but I am afraid
that the merge might make matters worse?

Any ideas or helpful speculation would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

  • Honey George at Sep 1, 2004 at 6:02 pm
    Patrick,
    For your second problem, are you seeing a behavior
    similar to the one discussed in the following thread?
    http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg08952.html

    If yes, you can see the solution there.

    Thanks,
    George

    --- Patrick Kates wrote:
[...]

    For additional commands, e-mail:
    lucene-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

  • Will Allen at Sep 7, 2004 at 11:19 pm
    I suspect it has to do with this change:

    --- jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/SegmentMerger.java 2004/08/08 13:03:59 1.12
    +++ jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/SegmentMerger.java 2004/08/11 17:37:52 1.13

    I wouldn't know where to start to reproduce the problem as it was happening just once a day or so on an index that was being both queried and added to real time to the tune of 100,000 docs a day / 50 queries a day.

    The corruption was always the same thing, the segments file listed an entry to a file that was not there.

    -Will