I'm having a problem with Lucene obtaining a lock file on Windows. Running
1.4 RC3, I see the error below repeatedly. I try stopping my process,
deleting the file, then restarting. The error just occurs again every time.

java.io.IOException: Lock obtain timed out:
Lock@C:\WINNT\TEMP\lucene-4bf302dec76f27bff81fc3dd3118abbb-write.lock
at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain(Lock.java:58)
at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.aquireWriteLock(IndexReader.java:408)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.delete(IndexReader.java:432)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.delete(IndexReader.java:454)

ANyone know the cause of this?

Steve Rajavuori
O'Pin Systems
2600 Eagan Woods Dr., Suite 400
Eagan, MN 55121
651-994-6556
stever@opin.com

  • Luis Muniz at Jul 16, 2004 at 2:28 pm
    Are you already using an IndexWriter?
    IndexWriter creates a lock i think. And IndexReader.delete wants to
    abtain a a lock also.
    you have to perform your deletes before you use the indexWriter to add
    documents to the index.

    I hope this helps