Greetings. I have recently had to re-install my web server. Once
completed, however, I cannot get the Lucene search to work. It worked
before the crash and it works on my laptop. When conducting searches now,
I get the following message:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Cannot access hits:
java.io.IOException: Permission denied

for full message see:

http://archives.mc.duke.edu/search?queryString=Davison

Can anyone suggest a place to start looking to add the correct permissions?

Thank you,

Russell

  • Otis Gospodnetic at Mar 24, 2004 at 9:58 pm
    The source of your problem is simple UNIX permission:

    java.io.IOException: Permission denied
    at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
    at java.io.File.createNewFile(File.java:688)
    at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$1.obtain(Unknown Source)

    Figure out what directory Java's java.io.tmpdir system property points
    to, and make sure that directory is writable by the user that runs that
    Tomcat server.

    Otis