Hi all,

why does the boolean query have a "required" and a "prohited" field (boolean
value)? If something is required it cannot be forbidden and otherwise? How
does this match with the Boolean model we know from theory?

Are there differences between Lucene and the Boolean model in theory?

Kind Regards,
Karl

  • Thomas Scheffler at Jan 16, 2004 at 12:32 pm

    Karl Koch sagte:
    Hi all,

    why does the boolean query have a "required" and a "prohited" field
    (boolean
    value)? If something is required it cannot be forbidden and otherwise? How
    does this match with the Boolean model we know from theory?
    What if required and prohibited are both off? That's somthing we need.
    Are there differences between Lucene and the Boolean model in theory?
    To save three conditions you have to take at least 2 bits. That's for the
    theory.

    Kind regards

    Thomas

  • Scott ganyo at Jan 16, 2004 at 1:42 pm
    No, you don't need required or prohibited, but you can't have both.
    Here is a rundown:

    * A required clause will allow a document to be selected if and only if
    it contains that clause and will exclude any documents that don't.

    * A prohibited clause will exclude any documents that contain that
    clause.

    * A clause that is neither prohibited nor required will select a
    document if it contains the clause, but the clause will not prevent
    non-matching documents from being selected by other clauses.

    Hopefully that helps,

    Scott