This is an exception that we've got:

03-04-30 03:00:12,806 ERROR [ThreadPoolThread 1]
/usr/local/tomcat_4.1.24/myapps/cl/WEB-INF/search/_1t.f5 (Too many open
files) java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/local/tomcat_4.1.24/myapps/cl/WEB-INF/search/_1t.f5 (Too many open
files)
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:200)

Is there a way to predict how many file handles Velocity would require? Is
there a setting I can use to limit this number?

Thank you!

  • Andrey Akselrod at Apr 30, 2003 at 3:12 pm
    Sorry, I meant to ask Is there a way to predict how many file handles LUCENE
    would require?
    :)

    03-04-30 03:00:12,806 ERROR [ThreadPoolThread 1]
    /usr/local/tomcat_4.1.24/myapps/cl/WEB-INF/search/_1t.f5 (Too many open
    files) java.io.FileNotFoundException:
    /usr/local/tomcat_4.1.24/myapps/cl/WEB-INF/search/_1t.f5 (Too many open
    files)
    at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:200)

    Is there a way to predict how many file handles Velocity would require? Is
    there a setting I can use to limit this number?

    Thank you!

  • Rob Outar at Apr 30, 2003 at 3:21 pm
    I had a similar problem because I was not explicitly calling close on
    IndexSearcher when I created a new one (if the index had changed) I was
    doing Seacher = new IndexSeacher() and on Linux I was running out of file
    handles I then change it to:

    Searcher.close();
    Seacher = new IndexSeacher()

    and the problem went away.

    Hope that helps.

    Thanks,

    Rob Outar
    OneSAF A&I -- SAIC
    Software\Data Engineer
    321-235-7660
    outarr@saic.com

    Sorry, I meant to ask Is there a way to predict how many file handles LUCENE
    would require?
    :)

    03-04-30 03:00:12,806 ERROR [ThreadPoolThread 1]
    /usr/local/tomcat_4.1.24/myapps/cl/WEB-INF/search/_1t.f5 (Too many open
    files) java.io.FileNotFoundException:
    /usr/local/tomcat_4.1.24/myapps/cl/WEB-INF/search/_1t.f5 (Too many open
    files)
    at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:200)

    Is there a way to predict how many file handles Velocity would require? Is
    there a setting I can use to limit this number?

    Thank you!

  • Rob Outar at Apr 30, 2003 at 3:30 pm
    The product we are working on allows folks to add files to the index, remove
    files from the index, add/remove fields from/to documents in the index, etc.
    so the index changes quite a bit. I was calling optimize after someone
    added a file or removed a file but performance was poor. After how many
    changes should I call optimize? I have noticed since I stopped calling
    optimize I have TONS of files in my index folder... So I need to perodically
    call optimize to cut down on the number of files... So I am curious what
    other folks are doing. So if anyone has an opinion/solution I would like to
    hear it.

    Thanks,

    Rob

  • David Medinets at Apr 30, 2003 at 3:43 pm
    Does the application have a period of least activity? Perhaps at 5:30am or
    on a weekend? If so, that might be a good time.