Hi All,

I am building a search engine based on Lucene. Recently I created a test
simulating multiple users searching in the same index simultaneously and
found out that quite often JVM crashes with 'Hotspot Virtual Machine Error :
11'. I couldnot reproduce this bug on Windows box, but observed it a lot on
Red Hat Linux 7.3 with different versions of Sun's 1.3 JVM, including the
most recent one (1.3.1_04 at the moment).

I am attaching a simple test that generates hotspot error in 90% of cases.
In our code we have to create new IndexSearcher for every search because
indices are updated in real time.

The only workaround I found for this problem so far is reducing the number
of searching threads which doesnot seem to be a good solution.

Had anyone encountered problems like this one?

Regards,
Stas.

Search Discussions

  • Otis Gospodnetic at Oct 1, 2002 at 4:25 pm
    Thursday? :)

    I haven't encountered this with Lucene, but I have seen it with a
    number of other applications.
    These are JVM problems.

    Try IBM's 1.3.1 JVM for Linux, or the recently released JRockit 7.0.

    Otis

    --- Stas Chetvertkov wrote:
[...]

    ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream name=SearchTest.java
    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Stas Chetvertkov at Oct 2, 2002 at 1:23 pm

    Thursday? :)
    quarter ;)
    I haven't encountered this with Lucene, but I have seen it with a
    number of other applications.
    These are JVM problems.

    Try IBM's 1.3.1 JVM for Linux, or the recently released JRockit 7.0.
    Everything works perfectly on both IBM's JVM and Sun's 1.4. Unfortunately we
    have a complicated working production system, and moving the whole thing to
    another JVM and making sure that everything works fine would take a while.
    Eventually we'll move to 1.4, but not now.

    This is surely Sun's problem. I had sent them a bug report, but it takes for
    them up to 3 weeks to response.

    I just hoped that someone encountered similar problem and found a good
    solution :)

    Thanks,
    Stas.

    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Karl øie at Oct 1, 2002 at 4:55 pm
    Try to run your vm in classic mode "java -classic" to disable the
    hotspot features...

    mvh karl øie

[...]

    <SearchTest.java>--
    To unsubscribe, e-mail:
    For additional commands, e-mail:
    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Stas Chetvertkov at Oct 2, 2002 at 1:35 pm
    Yes, it works without errors with classic JVM, but if it was not so
    painfully slow :(

    Anyway, I'll check what is faster - classic JVM with multiple thread search
    or Hotspot
    with 1 searching thread (as we have now).

    Thanks,
    Stas.
    Try to run your vm in classic mode "java -classic" to disable the
    hotspot features...
    mvh karl øie

    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Karl øie at Oct 2, 2002 at 3:16 pm
    there have been numerous problems/bad features with the hot-spot mode
    on sun's linux vm, the reason for this is that hot-spotting is
    optimizing your code by doing very weird stuff with your code :-)

    anyway i'm glad -classic works well for you. the bad performance is a
    known problem with the linux-kernel java threading system. When it
    comes to threads windows jvms outperforms linux jvms because of kernel
    internal things i don't even try to understand...

    i have used the 1.3.1 linux jvm from ibm with great stability, how does
    the ibm jvm perform against the sun jvm when it comes to thread
    performance?

    there is also a 1.3 jvm from a group called "blackdown" that is free
    and optimized for linux. there was some talking in the news about it
    being very good at threading... you could try it.. (
    http://www.blackdown.org/ )

    mvh karl øie

    Yes, it works without errors with classic JVM, but if it was not so
    painfully slow :(

    Anyway, I'll check what is faster - classic JVM with multiple thread
    search
    or Hotspot
    with 1 searching thread (as we have now).

    Thanks,
    Stas.
    Try to run your vm in classic mode "java -classic" to disable the
    hotspot features...
    mvh karl øie

    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Karl øie at Oct 14, 2002 at 9:05 am
    if you still have problems, take a look at this note found in the
    newest tomcat release... it might help.

    mvh karl øie

    -------------------------------
    Linux and Sun JDK 1.2.x - 1.3.x:
    Virtual machine crashes can be experienced when using certain
    combinations of
    kernel / glibc under Linux with Sun Hotspot 1.2 to 1.3. The crashes were
    reported to occur mostly on startup. Sun JDK 1.4 does not exhibit the problems,
    and neither does IBM JDK for Linux. >
    The problems can be fixed by reducing the default stack size. At bash shell,
    do "ulimit -s 2048"; use "limit stacksize 2048" for tcsh. >
    GLIBC 2.2 / Linux 2.4 users should also define an environment variable:
    export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5